Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Say MIXED AND MASTERED
Hello friends, about this mix:

I tried to give it a little extra air, to feel more space in the notes.
The bass was really difficult to fit in the mix without distorting. Used a smooth Fairchild compressor to do that.
Did some parallel compression on the vocals.
Made a ROOM and sent all the instruments to it, with waves Rverb, it's a Medium Room.
In resume, I tried to make the song sound natural and clean, with open pan and bright tones.
I like this mix I made because I really thought the song needed more air.
Sry for the bad english,
Greetings from Brasil!

Vitor

.mp3    James May - If you say.mp3 --  (Download: 7.96 MB)

Your English is fine, Vitor.

This sounds really nice. The acoustic guitar in particular has come though very well.
What did you 'do' there ? You've also handled the vocal short transients very well too.
I wouldn't want to make any negative comments at all because I basically like what
I'm hearing :o) Well done !
I agree - very nice![/i]
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
(05-07-2013, 06:32 PM)Robert Wrote: Your English is fine, Vitor.

This sounds really nice. The acoustic guitar in particular has come though very well.
What did you 'do' there ? You've also handled the vocal short transients very well too.
I wouldn't want to make any negative comments at all because I basically like what
I'm hearing :o) Well done !

Thank you so much for the positive feedback...

So... about the Acoustic guitar:

first of all I tried to fit the phase better because the DI signal aways comes first and you could have little phase problems with that, like losing a bit of the body of your sound, that's annoying to me!
First I have EQ the 2 ac guitar channels with the API560, the left one more bassy (does that word exist? lol) and the right one more brigher, so that gives more naturality to the sound, as if you were in front of the guitar player, hearing the body sound and the 12th fret sound.
Than I have sent them to an Stereo AUX and compressed them both with the TUBETECH CL1B, mid attack and fast release, the ratio was in 3:1.
I panned them 100% each side and sent them to the ROOM I've mentioned.

About the vocals:

I found a really nice synched delay using the Hdelay in Lofi mode.
Used a tube simulator to give it more harmonics without distorting too much.
About the transients, I was really annoyed by that because when I would turn the volume up those starts and ends of phrases would be so loud. I resolved that with Waves Vocal Rider, that is a really fucking great plugin, in this kind of situation it fits so well! It was configured in the FAST riding mode and Loud Riding preset. I have just increased the RANGE a little bit.
I sent that vocal to an aux and compressed it with CLA2A, squeezed it the stronger I could hahaha, just to make the vocals sound closer, but the fader for this channel is in -15dbFS, just to give a touch.

Oh my god, I just wrote a statement here hehehe.
Thank you!!