Poll: Does it suck?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
0%
0 0%
Oh....maybe not
100.00%
3 100.00%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
So I tried.... The Complainiacs 'Etc'
I'd love any criticism

.mp3    The Complainiacs \'Etc\' by abrogate.mp3 --  (Download: 4.4 MB)

Overall I like it. Nice conservative approach, in the true to the recorded sound sense. I would have two comments (not so much criticisms).

The first is that the hats are too "present" in the mix. But, given the spill in the recorded stems this is not easy to "fix." The ride sections are fine.

Second, the vocals seem slightly buried. Could be just a dB or fraction thereof boost of the vox channel is needed or maybe a just bit more high end and/or some saturation to give them a bit more grit. The guitar, bass, and drums sound good to me.
A Bit Analog
i like it. maybe pull some low mids, like 200-400 hz area, out of the stereo bus or the bass... cut some lows or low-mids out of the reverb channel, before or after the verb plug-in, or both, experiment..... these things just for minor clean up and they might not really be needed at all, thats just what I would try at first listen, but as it is i like it, good energy and balance on tone and instruments.
(10-07-2017, 02:55 AM)abrogate666 Wrote: I'd love any criticism

Hi abrogate666, I will like to offer you my objective criticism for your mix. I like the mix, I like your overall idea of balances and use of effects. I have some observations that may help you for future tries. the reverb on the drums or the toms is to long, swamping this fast track. If you shorten it, you will get more impact or you could try to gate the tail of the reverb to close faster between hits. The lead vocals needs more air and be more upfront in my opinion, the sound retreated behind the drums. The snare compression is bringing to much the hit hat. Try instead of compressing as an insert, use parallel compression and a sample to compensate for the lack of definition. if you side chain the kick and the snare to a compressor that reduce 1 to 2 db your bass and guitars you will get more punch and definition of your drums. Try those tips and let me know if it worked for you. Take care
To me it's a no, but only because of the reverb. I'd actually like to know what the mix sounds like without it. Balances are spot on and the tone has that crispy attitude. But the reverb...