Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suit You (Please give feedback Thank you)
Please have a listen and give me some feedback and I'll return the favor.

Cheers.

.mp3    SUIT YOU.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
The overall tone of your mix is nasal and due to the lack of reverb, lacks a certain size, it sounds like every instrument was recorded in an anechoic chamber. In one way you've gained tightness and attack but you've lost the overall weight of the band making it fatiguing to listen to.

The beater sound of the kick is in the same frequency range of the vocalist and the guitars, this is the main area of the nasalness of your mix, try scooping out some 800-3000 Hz from the kick and guitars and boost 6-10 kHz on the kick if you need the attack. The guitars sound good overall so nothing really there, the vocals have a honkey sound around 900 Hz that needs to be fixed. The other problem with the kick is that it seems to have no low mid content at all, all the connective tissue is gone so it leaves only click and thump, a scoop at 400-500 Hz shoud be enough to take the wooliness out while still having some connective tissue left.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(06-07-2017, 01:49 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: The overall tone of your mix is nasal and due to the lack of reverb, lacks a certain size, it sounds like every instrument was recorded in an anechoic chamber.

Cheers, and hope this helps
Doug

Thanks for the input.

Maybe not an anechoic chamber, but I get your point the mix sounds separated.

I adjusted the areas you mentioned in your crit.

Let me know if any of it is working for you.

.mp3    SUIT YOU 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.35 MB)

My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
I like it! Fun to listen to!! If I had to point anything I'd say the reverb tail on the LV could be a little softer, and the CH LV could be a little harder as well.
Other than that (and even the things I've just mentioned are personal preferences anyway) I think it rocks.
But then the client comes in and wants more this or more of that and you change stuff again Tongue
(06-07-2017, 01:49 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: ... In one way you've gained tightness and attack but you've lost the overall weight of the band making it fatiguing to listen to.

... try scooping out some 800-3000 Hz from the kick and guitars and boost 6-10 kHz... vocals have a honkey sound around 900 Hz that needs to be fixed... the kick... seems to have no low mid content at all... it leaves only click and thump, a scoop at 400-500 Hz shoud be enough...

I think Doug makes some valid technical points. But before that, I'd say the main issue is that the whole mix has been over compressed/limited on the master buss. That, more than anything, is contributing to the fatigue. There is hardly any dynamic range, and little variation in levels between verse and chorus. Worse, the mix is constantly peaking in the red.

Wesleyamltd, I think you should go back and remaster this mix with a gentler hand on the compression and limiting. Then it would shine. Even one of the original artists seems to like what you've done!
+1 on the compression (compression is soooo addictive!) and limiting, but that depends on a lot of things, like style and who you ask it to Smile

Dynamic range is a long debate and some want to slam everything, some don't. This track's dynamic range is at 8. (Like a Nightmare - Avenged Sevenfold, for example. Been there lately - Slash's Snakepit has a DR at 6, and Pittsburgh - The Amity Affliction has a DR of around 4. A healthy DR is from 14 upwards).
Sometimes I listen to (older) stuff and I wish it slammed more. Other times it's way too much, but some people find a balance somewhere in between, within a specific music style.

People make valid points here, great advice!
I'd say keep going back to your mix until you think you got it Wink
(21-07-2017, 02:12 PM)Royal Brandy Wrote: +1 on the compression (compression is soooo addictive!) and limiting, but that depends on a lot of things, like style and who you ask it to Smile

People make valid points here, great advice!
I'd say keep going back to your mix until you think you got it Wink

Not sure I understand what you're implying here. Are you commenting that my dynamic range is too little or not enough? I think my mix is o.k. and can be improved and everyone has valid points of view regarding their analysis. I revisit this mix and see if I can get it "pop" more musically.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is, although the dynamic range (DR) is still low, it's not at all unusual in this kind of music.

For reference, check this website http://dr.loudness-war.info/ (dynamic range database), type in any artist and check what the average DR value is. On the top right corner (links) they have software to analyze DR, peaks and RMS of .wav files.

One thing I've said more than once is that there's no right or wrong here. For example, in some heavy (rock/metal) bands you barely hear a bass guitar, and I can only mention one where I actually know the basslines and really have a big bottom. So that one band is the exception. Now, which one of them is right or wrong?

Try to load a reference file into your session (if you haven't already) and a/b the two. Then you might notice the smaller things and make adjustments. Maybe you want more click on kick drum, and a little less bass. Or might you bring the guitars and piano down a little in the verses. Having something to compare it to (in the same style) in invaluable.

So keep going back at until it sounds as good and balanced as your reference track.
(24-07-2017, 09:05 AM)Royal Brandy Wrote: Sorry for the confusion. What I meant is, although the dynamic range (DR) is still low, it's not at all unusual in this kind of music.

For reference, check this website http://dr.loudness-war.info/ (dynamic range database)

Thanks for the detailed response. I will check out this website for sure. I hear ya on how music is subjective and mixes are different within there genres even. I typically don't reference tracks when mixing new music even if I have a copy of the track I'm mixing, because I want my perspective. That being said if I'm specifically told by the artist they want the track to sound like X then I'll reference the track. I want to have my own sound when I mix but I also want my mix to sound amazing also. I think there is nothing I mixed in the past four years of my experience that is amazing.
So I keep at it and keep aiming for that amazing mix and with every mix I get a little closer.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Well, if you want your music to sound amazing you should put it next to your definition of amazing and compare it. Tongue

No, really. Have you ever had a mix where you thought "wow, I've nailed it" and then compare it to something else within the same genre and and something is "wrong"? Like too much/ little bass, guitars tool soft/ loud, snare, vocals, etc.
You don't have to copy anything, but use them as a guideline, to keep you on the right track. Plus, not everyone is familiar with every single style, from metalcore to trap, jazz to reggae, without a reference I find it tricky to know how much is enough.