Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suit You - Orthogonal Records Mix
Hi all!

Here is my take on that song. Hope you like it.
Any comments very much appreciated. Thanks upfront.

Best,
Markus

.mp3    Suit_You_OR_v1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.4 MB)

You must be the first person to put a phaser on the intro guitar :-)

Other than that, a pretty solid mix. You've got a really nice balance with the kick and bass going on. Lot of finger/fret noise on the bass - an artistic decision? Good job getting the vocal to pop on the middle 8.
Hi and thanks very much for your reply.

I abstract from your answer that you don't like the flanger on the intro guitar? Wink
I was looking for a way to generate more excitement. It's not only the flanger but also a level automation of a few db to really emphasize the point where the whole band kicks in.

The finger/fret noise comes from the fact that I wanted the bass to sound really "woody" (can one say that in english?) on that song - that also brings out the fret noise I guess.

The vocals are my main personal child of sorrow. I would have loved if there had been a lot more emotion in the singers voice to spice things up quite a bit.

Thanks again and best regards,
Markus

P.S.: Gonna listen to and comment on your mix later when I'm in the studio.
Well, I don't HATE the flanger... I mean, I just did the same radio/telephone EQ that 80% of other mixes did...

The vocals, I get what you're saying. I personally suspect the singer could actually do better than this if she was pushed or coached a bit more. I think, because this is their debut album, they don't have much studio experience. You can see just looking at the waveform on the recording that she starts off strong on lines, then tails off towards the end. I did a lot of volume automation to bring up those end phrases and I think it did bring more emotion to the vocal.

I also wish they'd double tracked vocals, at least the chorus. I though I could use other choruses to layer them, but found that the chorus is in fact the same wave cut and pasted for each part... I mean, I still layered them, but we all know two different takes will almost always sound better.