Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Sixth Deadly Sin Six Update 1
With three great choices to choose from for Perpetual Escape, I chose Sin Six to be my first after hearing so many interesting takes.

What I like about this song is the guitars, the bass, the drums and the vocals. What I don't like about this song are the guitars, the bass, the drums and the vocals. Well not entirely.

For the most part the drums were easy. Taming the significant ring in the top snare was a challenge but once dialed in added great character to the snare. Lots of gating took place with toms bussed to a stereo pair which was collectively gated and worked very effectively to take control of the toms. The room mics added some nice character too.

The bass was very straight forward. I added some grit for definition and placed it in a nice big room.

All guitars were bussed to a stereo pair and needed only EQ for the most part. Reverb was inserted into the buss and the decays set to work best at the cool break.
The guitars are thick and lush. I like that.

The vocals were the most work. Many of the parts had lots of overdubs where levels did not match. Once this was discovered adjusting those sections to match one-another made the vocal mix MUCH easier to mix. Somebody go slap MAN on the wrist for me. Once properly assembled the Leads and Backgrounds each had their own IR reverb inserted into their respective stereo busses which were then bussed to a stereo vocal master where a de-esser was inserted. The Lead Vocal buss was routed through a console shaper to give some legacy saturation and enhanced harmonic content.

There were two things I wanted to do but did not try. One was a harmonium/vocoder on the vocals in places and the other was an echo pan swipe of the last guitar figure for Guitar 4 at the end of the last vocal build. I chickened out on that one and just buried it.

There is lots of compression and limiters where needed. I hope it worked

Lots of choices and a treat to play with.

As always the secretary will disavow . . . Wink

Perpetual Escape - Sin Six
7/2/2017

Perpetual Escape - Sin Six - Version 2
7/5/2017
In an effort to get better clarity through the low end, some master filtering was done and in the mix the reverb was cleaned up on the snare. A cleaner room definition was modified for the guitars and vocals were given more room. The toms were greatly enlarged and automated.

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Sin Six.mp3 --  (Download: 8.1 MB)

.mp3    Perpetual Escape - Sin Six - Version 2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.08 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Cool mix , sounds good on my monitors nice work with the effects everything sounds glued together ,the solo guitar that comes in at around 0.17 maybe a db or 2 upfront ,thinking the Bass Drums could be a touch more dynamic with maybe less compression but that's personal taste thing for me !

Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

As per Don, I think I would like to hear some more dynamics also. In saying that there aren't any other real issues that I have with the mix. I think I prefer the second mix, I'm not completely sure why, but for one, I feel the vocals are working better in this pass.
I like your workings with stereo bus for the toms and then gating. I would never have thought of doing that way. That's one to steal from you. Big Grin

Quality mix as usual

Hey !

Besides some muddiness in general in the instruments (vocals are fine, just some sibilances here and there), your mix is very clean.

Did you gate the toms ? Cause sometimes when I hit them the cymbals got instantly super loud and harsh.
(09-07-2017, 10:39 AM)thedon Wrote: Cool mix , sounds good on my monitors nice work with the effects everything sounds glued together ,the solo guitar that comes in at around 0.17 maybe a db or 2 upfront ,thinking the Bass Drums could be a touch more dynamic with maybe less compression but that's personal taste thing for me !

Well Done Big Grin

Don,
Thanks for the listen and the input. This particular song just gave the feeling of a straight-out hard rock blast. Dynamics were not that big a part of the song and I felt there was not much need to preserve or create something akin to it. However, I risked making the song too flat and I think I may have stepped on it too much.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-07-2017, 11:40 AM)Dangerous Wrote: As per Don, I think I would like to hear some more dynamics also. In saying that there aren't any other real issues that I have with the mix. I think I prefer the second mix, I'm not completely sure why, but for one, I feel the vocals are working better in this pass.
I like your workings with stereo bus for the toms and then gating. I would never have thought of doing that way. That's one to steal from you. Big Grin

Quality mix as usual

Dave,
Thanks for the kind words. Dynamics did not play an important role for me in this mix as I felt the song didn't really embody a lot of dynamics from front to back. To tame all of the heavy parts did require a lot of control in order to get them where I wanted. I may be guilty of too much control.
Again, thanks for the input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(09-07-2017, 01:03 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey !

Besides some muddiness in general in the instruments (vocals are fine, just some sibilances here and there), your mix is very clean.

Did you gate the toms ? Cause sometimes when I hit them the cymbals got instantly super loud and harsh.

Man,
Thanks for the listen and comments. I did gate the toms and crushed them as well. The gate was placed on the stereo buss, not each individual instrument which seemed to work pretty well. And yes there is one point in the song where the gate opens up to reveal some splashiness in the cymbals. I felt it the lesser of two evils I was battling at the time. I'm sure I could be more sensitive to the cymbal leakage when the gate opens at times during the song.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]