Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Bright - AZ mix
Hi,

So I've been gone a while. For various reasons, I didn't do any mixing in the past two handfuls of months. This one got started before that point and then set aside as, "Man, this one is tough!" Anyway, I got back into this tune over the past few days and managed to get something I feel is pretty well finished, if not polished to a mirror bright sheen. Because of the pause, I have no idea how much time I have into this but I'd bank on 35+ hours, partly because, after the break, I'm now rusty and my ears aren't tuned quite right.

The three biggest challenges I had in this mix, besides trying to find room for everything and dealing with synths stepping on each other and everything else (as expected with a synth heavy tune) was, first, the synth bass. It really needed more low end but you can't EQ what isn't there. So after compression and EQ to set things up, I ran it through Lowender and made a few adjustments to give it a bit of rumble but also to give it a bit more feel in headphones as well. This took a *lot* of work to try to get it all balanced. There was NOTHING below about 125 Hz on that synth.

Second, the drum kits. These were used a bit oddly and it was hard to get them to mesh together but there was another problem... it was rather thin. I added a MIDI track and tried to discretely add a few extra elements. This woulda been easier if I were any kind of a drummer and had a better feel for what to add where. There was also the markedly different feel between the two drum parts (verse/chorus) which didn't to me feel as though they transitioned well. Did a bit of work on the kick drums and think I managed to get that sorted acceptably.

Third, on the chorus vocal, the vocalist overdrove his recording equipment and that made it difficult to get a good sounding voice. It also made compression a bit difficult because with the dynamic range present, it was hard to keep it punchy and not have something overload after re-amplification. My choice here was to go for dirtier sounding gear and adding in a little grit by pushing it pretty hard and power noise. In this case, I used the CLA-76 black face hitting pretty hard--over on the other track, I used the blue face--and trying to set the compression levels so that the output section was up pretty high, followed by a rennaisance compressor, then the two vocal lines bussed together through the Puigchild taking only a dB or so to try to keep the two lines a little more even and add some color and warmth.

Anyway, here's my submission. Not sure I'll be back where I was before, activity-wise, but I want to try to get something else going here soon.

.mp3    TooBright-mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 10.3 MB)

Old West Audio
BTW, I did not attempt to put this through a limiter since it became pretty obvious that this is the sort of tune that really needs carefully applied multi-band compression in order to be properly mastered without blowing out the speakers and that's just not something I'm good with.
Old West Audio
sounds great in the verse then hook came in and almost killed me with the vocal level. Hook drums are also missing the punch I feel the should have in this section. Other than that everything else I like.
Yeah, maybe a little more work with the compressor there and a rethink on the vocal effects there to let me get the presences without the volume.
Old West Audio