Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On The Line.
Hi

here is my first try with James May's beautiful song "On The Line".
i'd be happy to have some feedback.

there is a limiter on the "loud" version.

thanks.

edit: after relistening, I Think i'll do some more tweak on the vocal on the last choruses.

.mp3    James May s-On The Line-Mix1-Loud.mp3 --  (Download: 10.18 MB)

.mp3    James May s-On The Line-Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.18 MB)

Nice ,I Like the character of sound of the first track.
Hard Work With Correct Knowledge+Information in the Right Direction is Not The Key To Success , But Success Is The Name Of these Three Elements Unified.
Hi,

nice to have some feedback.
thank you.

Hi,
I've tweaked some things ...

here is two version more (I give you only le "loud" version(limiter on the main bus).

In "mix3" I did:
-re-eq the guitare before the bass enters
-at the very beginning: no cello.
- bring down a bit of transient on the drum's Over head to bring the hi-hat a bit back and to have more of the snare's "little train".
-re-automated the bass and a bit of eq (the kick was masked I think). and give a bit more volume.
-bring a little more reverb on the mandoline to drive them a little bit back in the first chorus.
-at the end of the first chorus, I 've automated lead vocal's eq to have the last word more soft and round.
-On the third verse till the end of song: I bring a bit more volume of the parallel comp track on the snare.(little train) (perhaps it' too much?).

the "mix4" is the same with harmonic distortion on the bass for it's presence in ear buds. Perhaps is it too much bass now ?

I'll still be happy to have your feelings.

enjoy !

.mp3    James May s-On The Line-Mix3-Loud.mp3 --  (Download: 10.81 MB)

.mp3    James May s-On The Line-Mix4-Loud.mp3 --  (Download: 10.81 MB)

I forgot !

happy 4th !
I must say the 4th edition of the mix is awesome! Just a few minor things i might (!) change, I think those are all up to taste.

- The Mandolin Crecendos seem a little loud to me
- Dynamic Range a little to much on the Cello, also a tad to loud.
- Kick seems a little weak in the beginning, the level @3:30 is better IMO (dont know if you even changed it xD)

But besides that this pure gold! Love the presence of the snare at the end, maybe put a little more in the beginning aswell ?

Hi,

for the kick you're right ! .... I didn't touch it, it seems to me that the drummers did the job right to go quiet in the beginning and on the way to the end of the song he brings the climax, it makes the song fell like a journey with a climax and a release. The kick comes to split the song in two parts and when it enter add a bit of "drama". That's why I just did a little comp (&eq) just to get the biggest transient to be quieter. (I'm french I sometime have difficulty to express myself the way I want in english) And feel like I should save his playing and crescendo. I did the same with comps, for the overall song, not to much (I tried haha).

for the cellos it's a choice to have them in front (more than the drums in the beginning so that they do the rhythmic part) with the guitare just behind and sometimes the mandolins take the place of the cellos. and the guitare go forth and back.

That was a choice and you're again right it's all up to taste.

I really do appreciate you're feedback, both of you, that made me dig deeper into it. By re-listening I think, there must be a fifth between the "3" & "4", It seems to me the bass is a bit loud in the 4 and a bit thin in the 3.

thank you