Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Softube Console 1, Waves, Kush, Slate, Eventide, A.O.M.
I tried to do a lot during mastering to make the mix more organic and less "Pop" sounding. Maybe I did too much. I'll post a more traditional master next week. I would love some feedback!

.mp3    Heart Beats Master.mp3 --  (Download: 5.06 MB)

My random, terse comments:

A little more thump would not go amiss.
Need to make more room for the vocal in the chorus. The added guitars make it seem to dive down a bit.
Emphasize that bass slide at ~2:55.
Did you make a deliberate choice to toss the backing vocals in the chorus or did I just not pick them up?
I like the snap on the kick drum and think it could actually come up another dB.
Why the choice to fade in? Seems to cheat the tune of its initial impact.

Decently clean mix, though, and that certainly counts for a lot. Sometimes clarity is a b*** to achieve.
Old West Audio
The fade in at the beginning wasn't deliberate at all. I did a quick master using a lot of various saturation plugins to give it a more organic feel.

I bumped that kick up a ton on my newest mix and I pushed the vocals up. I also panned the verse guitar to the left because I felt it was crowding the vocal. I also pushed up the poppy keyboard stuff....it's a candy poo song that's trying to be taken seriously. Why fight it, it is what it is.

I tried to make it sound more "serious" and artistic on this mix/master (vocals not overpowering, analogue feel etc). I'm just not sure it worked. So, I'm going more traditional pop on my next iteration. I'll post it tonight probably.
Go through the board here. There are some really good mixes of this tune, as I recall. Might get some interesting ideas about the potential of this tune. I also note that in my session, I had to clean up the vocals quite a bit. There were a ton of abrupt edits and things like that that needed cleaning up. I also had to split the vocals and backing tracks across multiple tracks because they seemed to be pieced together from inconsistent takes and therefore the treatment that was right for one snippet wouldn't work for the next two but would for for the the three after that but not the one following. That sort of thing.
Old West Audio