Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Gracie Day: "What You Need"
02-07-2017, 02:06 AM
RE: Gracie Day: "What You Need"
Uploaded version 2 Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Hey don, I actually prefer mix 1. Sounds less compressed and a nice retro vibe. There's a fair amount of 2khz buzz happening with the guitars and bass, but that could be easily fixed with a dynamic EQ.
07-07-2017, 07:55 PM
I tame the fret noise by automating. I don't think a de-esser will be a satisfactory solution unless you use a very narrow notch band, not a wide band for sure (It will dull the acoustic guitar). Automation can solve quite a lot of things like the sour slap note on the base at the beginning. Cheers.
09-07-2017, 09:07 AM
(06-07-2017 11:18 AM)mick2015 Wrote:  Hey don, I actually prefer mix 1. Sounds less compressed and a nice retro vibe. There's a fair amount of 2khz buzz happening with the guitars and bass, but that could be easily fixed with a dynamic EQ.
Thanks for having a listen Mick ,will sort out the buzz .

Cheers Big Grin

09-07-2017, 09:13 AM
(07-07-2017 07:55 PM)javierpg84 Wrote:  I tame the fret noise by automating. I don't think a de-esser will be a satisfactory solution unless you use a very narrow notch band, not a wide band for sure (It will dull the acoustic guitar). Automation can solve quite a lot of things like the sour slap note on the base at the beginning. Cheers.
I recall seeing a tutorial on either chopping out guitar slides and vocal breaths and putting them on a separate track and automating them to taste ,If i find it will share it.

Cheers for the feedback Big Grin

09-07-2017, 12:12 PM
I listened version 2.
Balances feel pretty good to me.
I like the bass sound, bass lines are nicely audible.

Good idea to put guitars to near middle. It fixes some of the groove problems inherent in these multitracks. But the acoustic guitar some how masks and dominates the snare and that way makes the overall groove a bit messy. Maybe the hitting acoustic could go down a bit and you could let the snare participate more to the main groove.

Just for testing and practising I've been mastering to too loud levels (CD levels), BUT you still managed to beat my loudness with 3 dbs. Smile Maybe for the same reason your mix has certain kind of harhness. For example vox feels a bit harsh and thin, and the other acoustic guitar has some sort of biting edge.

BTW I've decided to learn to target my mastered versions to range -11-13 LUFS what should be somewhat optimal to spotify masters. THat won't affect my mixing procedure for currently my mixes are around -16-20 rms area
09-07-2017, 12:27 PM
(09-07-2017 12:12 PM)Olli H Wrote:  I listened version 2.
Balances feel pretty good to me.
I like the bass sound, bass lines are nicely audible.

Good idea to put guitars to near middle. It fixes some of the groove problems inherent in these multitracks. But the acoustic guitar some how masks and dominates the snare and that way makes the overall groove a bit messy. Maybe the hitting acoustic could go down a bit and you could let the snare participate more to the main groove.

Just for testing and practising I've been mastering to too loud levels (CD levels), BUT you still managed to beat my loudness with 3 dbs. Smile Maybe for the same reason your mix has certain kind of harhness. For example vox feels a bit harsh and thin, and the other acoustic guitar has some sort of biting edge.

BTW I've decided to learn to target my mastered versions to range -11-13 LUFS what should be somewhat optimal to spotify masters. THat won't affect my mixing procedure for currently my mixes are around -16-20 rms area
Hi Olli,
Thanks for having a listen ,I agree and will hopefully sort out in the next version !
Cheers Big Grin

09-07-2017, 12:29 PM
I think I like version#1 Don. I don't know that i'm really all that put off with the string noise of the acoustic. I certainly don't find it distracting. I like its use up the centre but it doesn't leave much room for the electric guitar part . I guess eq magic is the key to make this marriage optimal. Great acoustic sound and rhythmic progression by the way.
11-07-2017, 08:43 AM
(09-07-2017 12:29 PM)Dangerous Wrote:  I think I like version#1 Don. I don't know that i'm really all that put off with the string noise of the acoustic. I certainly don't find it distracting. I like its use up the centre but it doesn't leave much room for the electric guitar part . I guess eq magic is the key to make this marriage optimal. Great acoustic sound and rhythmic progression by the way.
Thanks for having a listen Dave I think i will work on add to version 1 for version 3.

Cheers Big Grin

19-07-2017, 06:15 AM
Like the clarity and balance only thing maybe a tad more warmth on the overall other than that great job

Support my video work!
Advertisement: