Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.4 Average
Perpetual Escape: 'Into My Dreams' kapu mix
(24-07-2017, 10:14 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey Kapu Smile [...]

Thanks! I've been experimenting with the tracks and I think I'll go for a totally different type of sound with the drums gated to the sound of artificiality, distorted bass etc, smaller, more dry sound.

One thing I can't get my head around is the lead guitars, not just in this project but in general. For me especially the lead melody guitars usually sound just noise or some weirdly dissonant distortion mainly after 1-2 kHz. Probably due to the internal cone distortion thing or something. But anyway, for me to get the lead guitar to sound "acceptable" I usually take a lot of high frequencies off, and this moves the lead guitars always "back" as it apparently simulates the high frequency diffusion of distant sound sources in natural environment, or something like that. If there's any neat tricks to make lead guitars more forward without them upper middles drilling through the skull I'm open to all suggestions. ^_^
Ever try using a deesser on a guitar? Something I picked up from a comment I heard Andrew Scheps make, that when he's got a guitar that has too much fizz in it, if he needs to make it brighter for like a solo section, he'll sometimes run it through a deesser before he goes to the equalizer. Haven't practiced with this but as I take it, the point is to increase the density of the frequencies you're after (through bandwidth limited compression) so you don't have to bring them up as much to get them to stand out and therefore don't bring up the garbage with them.
Old West Audio
(26-07-2017, 04:23 AM)azwayne Wrote: Ever try using a deesser [...]

Thanks for tip. Did some experimenting but de-essing might not be tool I'm looking for. I think I can manage those frequencies with simple equing, but have to be more careful about the amount of cutting. ^_^
Added new mix to opening post. Tried to make it better, but probably just made it worse. ^_^
(29-07-2017, 01:59 AM)kapu Wrote: Added new mix to opening post. Tried to make it better, but probably just made it worse. ^_^

I love how the kick sound! And the way you place the vocal sound nice to me, I prefer yours than mine Rolleyes

Can't really think and find out anything not nice, maybe i will just prefer a louder vocal
(04-08-2017, 07:37 AM)gckhai Wrote: I love how the kick [...]

Thanks! I cheated and used samples. ^_^
(04-08-2017, 01:58 PM)kapu Wrote:
(04-08-2017, 07:37 AM)gckhai Wrote: I love how the kick [...]

Thanks! I cheated and used samples. ^_^

Nowonder sound so different ^^
Don't know how would the drummer feel, but I think it quite suit this ^^
(04-08-2017, 05:42 PM)gckhai Wrote: Nowonder sound so different ^^ [...]

I also used tons of other dirty tricks, including the adjustments of levels, panning, eq, compression, reverbs, fx, automation and edits, to manipulate the original tracks to make them sound hopefully better.
(04-08-2017, 07:17 PM)kapu Wrote: I also used tons of other dirty tricks, including the adjustments of levels, panning, eq, compression, reverbs, fx, automation and edits, to manipulate the original tracks to make them sound hopefully better.

Outsh, that’s blashemy. You should try someday Al Schmitt’s mixing philosohpy the way I use it: no plugins, put all the faders to zero and that’s it. It’s also quite quick method.

But anyway, although you have used all those forbidden pagan tricks, it's still very good mix. Good luck in the competition!
(06-08-2017, 06:31 PM)Olli H Wrote: Outsh, that’s blashemy. [...]

Thanks! I'm prepared to spend eternity in the purgatory for the heresy I've committed or be burned at the stake. Already I'm being gossiped and ridiculed across the courts of Europe for my sorry fate and yet I shall stand by my mix no matter the consequences.

Hmm... If I, for some unfortunate reason, would have to change the level of an individual track when deploying this Al Schmidt technique, should I ride the gains or faders? Riding faders instead of gains would probably lead to more accurate response of the gear and phase correlation between multimiced sources etc, but it would definitely ruin the 'mojo' of the mix, as the faders of my Neve 88RS would no more be aligned in a single neat line, which I would consider to be more important in the end. ^_^