Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
First time submission
I guess this is at the point where I would hand it off to the band to have a listen to...

.mp3    Duty And Memories - DH Mix 8.mp3 --  (Download: 12.87 MB)

.mp3    Duty And Memories - DH Mix 10.mp3 --  (Download: 12.87 MB)

I think everything is very well-balanced, Daniel. It sounds really good on my playback system here. Having not mixed this one (yet) myself, I can't be sure of lead vocal. There's some really ugly breath noises... and, the lead vocalist during the multi-voice / chorus parts pokes through a little too much for my (personal) liking. I'd say you've pretty much nailed everything - except for 'that' lead vocal. Maybe it's just 'that' particular vocalist hasn't been tracked optimally. All in all though, a very competent mix.
(24-06-2017, 05:25 PM)Robert Wrote: I think everything is very well-balanced, Daniel. It sounds really good on my playback system here. Having not mixed this one (yet) myself, I can't be sure of lead vocal. There's some really ugly breath noises... and, the lead vocalist during the multi-voice / chorus parts pokes through a little too much for my (personal) liking. I'd say you've pretty much nailed everything - except for 'that' lead vocal. Maybe it's just 'that' particular vocalist hasn't been tracked optimally. All in all though, a very competent mix.

Are you talking about the more distorted female vocal that comes in first or the vocal with the doubles or the male vox?
Personally, I think that the first female vox is a little loud when she comes in. I'll adjust that now.

My only issue with the recording is the gate on the kick drum. Doesn't sound like the gate is working effectively. The snare, I personally feel, could have been better recorded. Along with some better labeling on the guitars like close mic and far mic etc. just to make it easier at the beginning (not that you can't hear a close and far) Apart from that, well recorded.

.mp3    Duty And Memories - DH Mix 10.mp3 --  (Download: 12.87 MB)

Hey ! I'm Perpetual Escape drummer and original mix engineer.

Globally you achieved a very good mix ! Everything sound balanced and vocals are well placed, just above the instruments.
I think you can improve a little bit the overall punch, especially the drums. They sound a bit thin for this particular song. It's about war and its atrocities. I had to use some samples in my original mix cause they lack some body and grit, especially the snare.

Keep it up, you are 95% super good to me Smile
Cheers
(24-06-2017, 11:02 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey ! I'm Perpetual Escape drummer and original mix engineer.

Globally you achieved a very good mix ! Everything sound balanced and vocals are well placed, just above the instruments.
I think you can improve a little bit the overall punch, especially the drums. They sound a bit thin for this particular song. It's about war and its atrocities. I had to use some samples in my original mix cause they lack some body and grit, especially the snare.

Keep it up, you are 95% super good to me Smile
Cheers

I appreciate the feedback. I had no reference to go towards so I changed it a few times. I was hearing more Avenged Sevenfold, with the style of vocals. What are you looking for exactly? More low end in the kick? Do you have a reference song?

Attached is an earlier mix before I changed the kick among other things.

.mp3    Duty And Memories - DH Mix 3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.8 MB)

I actually prefer the kick of version 10, but I think you can make the drums sound bigger by using reverb and/or more room track, or maybe some parallel compression.
What frequency did you boost for the kick subs ? It seems to be like 70-80 Hz ? Try 55-60 instead to give it more gut.

I think I used some Creed tracks for reference, maybe song Overcome from album Full Circle.

Hope that helps Wink
Wow so yeah when I mixed I had avenged sevenfold in my head for a reference which is why the mix is totally different. Here are the changes you suggested but it will most likely still be off what you want.

However its much better with a little more low end and a little more verb, (which is actually how I like it as well)

.mp3    Duty And Memories - DH Mix 11.mp3 --  (Download: 12.87 MB)

It sounds better Smile

Only the snare feels a bit disconnected now, but can't really explain why... Maybe it's just a little bit too loud ? Anyway, your mix is very good, great job here !