Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DYNAMICS ARE FOR PANSIES mix
This thing is loud and grimy to say the least. Not really a serious mix but in some weird way it kinda works with the track, I love me some Stoner Rock and it's really awesome to hear some new stuff from a more underground (in my neck of the woods at least Big Grin)

Cheers,
Doug

.mp3    Guerra Alla Frontiera Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.44 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Great! The crash cymbal drum beat sounds a bit harsh in combination with the guitars, but nothing serious. Band sound has the roar. If you ask me, I think your mix actually has a wide range of dynamics with the difference in vocal and guitar sounds between sections. Sounds good and interesting from start to finish. Nice job! ^_^
(20-06-2017, 10:19 PM)kapu Wrote: Great! The crash cymbal drum beat sounds a bit harsh in combination with the guitars, but nothing serious. Band sound has the roar. If you ask me, I think your mix actually has a wide range of dynamics with the difference in vocal and guitar sounds between sections. Sounds good and interesting from start to finish. Nice job! ^_^

Thanks man, I really wanted to have the bass and guitars bearing their teeth throughout the mix but still have it sound like a band in a room, I mixed everything into one room track and compressed the snot out of it to give the impression of being in the room with the band during a show.

The kick needed more click so I added a metal machine sample to it and blended it in with the original kick but otherwise the drums just have a little bit of eq and compression on them.

My most drastic stuff happened with the guitar and bass, the bass was ran through a hard driven 1073 emulation to the point of heavy fuzz and then controlled with some mid scoops and multiband and single band compression. The guitars were originally just eq'd and multiband compressed to fit them in but then I got the idea to run them through Guitar Rig's Proco Ratt emulation and Big Muff emulation to get them super disgusting, on top of that I used a cocked wah pedal to focus the sound even more and compensated for the top end noise, resonant peak of the wah, and the low end loss of the wah. The Ratt is the main knarly sound and during the choruses and instrumental sections I automated in the Big Muff for some more filth.

It does have an audible dynamic to it, it's just not super dynamic amplitude wise. Stoner Rock is all about big fuzzy sounding guitar and bass backed up by loud and sometimes pretty Lo Fi sounding drums in a fat sounding room, not alot of place for ig player dynamics so to compensate arrangements and mixing generally take over to make the sound interesting and dynamic. I really just left that warning for the "golden ears" just in case they come around Big Grin.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6