Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Suit You "Live from the Studio"
With this track I went for a hybrid sort of mix, half live and half studio. Everything is bussed to a "Room" track to give the illusion of the band being in a live room but there are some "studio magic" moments (woo, quotation marks Big Grin) to spice things up. This band would really benefit from a Mutt Lange style of production ala Back in Black or For Those About to Rock, produced and clean but still with some dirt ground in, at least in my opinion.

There's some tweaking to be done but overall I happy with the way it's turned out, I need some unbiased ears to listen to it and tell me what could be improved.

Cheers,
Doug

Update: The guitarshave been thinned out abit and I used some multiband compression on the bass to even it out a bit more. The snare and kick now have some tape saturation on them to smooth them out and add character. During the second verse the piano is featured more to change things up.

.mp3    Suit You Mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 5 MB)

.mp3    Suit You Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.04 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Sounds pretty good to me. There's nothing to complain about, really. It maybe a little "fat" in the lower mids but it doesn't sound off. Just maybe a hair too thick. I feel it mostly in the guitars. I'm wondering if it's the room tone. I don't really notice a room sound overall but I could see the reverb adding some build up in the lower mids. I'm just guessing but I'd look there first. You might be able to eq it a touch to lean the overall sound.

Other than that minor point it sounds great. The vocals are nice and smooth. The overall tone is pleasant to listen to.
Sounds great. Sorry I can't find more to complain about. : )
(19-06-2017, 06:36 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds pretty good to me. There's nothing to complain about, really. It maybe a little "fat" in the lower mids but it doesn't sound off. Just maybe a hair too thick. I feel it mostly in the guitars. I'm wondering if it's the room tone. I don't really notice a room sound overall but I could see the reverb adding some build up in the lower mids. I'm just guessing but I'd look there first. You might be able to eq it a touch to lean the overall sound.

Other than that minor point it sounds great. The vocals are nice and smooth. The overall tone is pleasant to listen to.
Sounds great. Sorry I can't find more to complain about. : )

Thanks Roy, I ended up multiband compressing the bass and pulling the guitars back abit in the room and using some dynamic EQ to thin out the guitars. I noticed some harshness in the rhythm guitars during the solo especially so I hauled out some 1.5 kHz to keep them out of the way of the lead.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6

There's some tweaking to be done but overall I happy with the way it's turned out, I need some unbiased ears to listen to it and tell me what could be improved.

Cheers,
Doug

Update: The guitarshave been thinned out abit and I used some multiband compression on the bass to even it out a bit more. The snare and kick now have some tape saturation on them to smooth them out and add character. During the second verse the piano is featured more to change things up.
[/quote]

I see your vision about the live studio take but I don't think it sounds like that.
Sounds like plate reverb added to the mix not a room.

Overall, pretty good.
I think the filter effect used on the guitar intro and bridge are too low and are not having the dramatic effect they should. I understand that its used for a stark contrast between the parts but it sound like a mistake.

Vocals sound good.

Not a fan of the kick or snare sound but that's a matter of taste. The OH need to brought out in the mix to give the drums more energy.

Last is the bass guitar. I can hear the hum of the bass but none of the definition.

I think your mix is acceptable. I don't know how you could make this song sound any better, its one of those songs, ya know mang?
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Of the mixes I have listened to I think your mix seems to be the best, nothing to complain about. Smile