Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for some feedback, first mix!
Hello all,

I could use some good criticism of my mix. Just starting out learning to mix, so it probably has all kinds of issues. (Also, don't tell anyone, but I mixed it on headphones, didn't want to wake the kids...lol)

Some things I tried that might be different (and that I could use some advice on):

-Was pretty overwhelmed by the guitars until I figured out that it's only two parts double tracked. After lots of trial and error, I decided to use Amplitube and run guitar 1 through amp A and guitar 2 through amp B, and pan them both 80 left. Then I ran guitar 3 through amp B, and guitar 4 through amp A and panned them 80 right. Then the solos are panned 30 each side with lots of ambience with their own airy amplifiers

-Drums prob need the most work. I'll need to study more. Put a Solid Bus Comp on the drum bus to thicken it up and used a limiter just to catch a couple transients.

-Put a small bit of sidechain compression on the bass triggered to the fatter of the two kicks to help make room

-Also put supercharger compressor and a touch of chorus on the bass

-I sidechained the guitar bus from the snare, just a dB or two to help make more room. Is this a thing? lol

-Used a stereo expander on the guitar bus (just a touch) and quite a bit on the bus with choir and strings on it

-Used Sausage Fattener on both vox, thickened it up quite a bit, then I added panning and ping pong type delay to backup vox

I've already learned quite a bit just from reading other comments, so I'm hoping it's at least bearable! Anyways, I look forward to hearing what you think, and where I can do better. I've been working on building a studio in my home, and am hoping I can turn this into a second job at some point once I get good enough. Thanks in advance for taking the time to listen!

ps - if you're really bored, I attached screen shots of my mixer so you can see what's on each track. If you see something that makes you go "WTF" let me know. lol

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Bannockburn_2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.05 MB)

I don't hear any drums?
(19-06-2017, 02:30 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: I don't hear any drums?

I assume you're saying they're too low in the mix?

I've continued to make tweaks since posting. Every time I think I'm done, I walk away, then listen to it again after a while and decide it still needs something. That's probably a lesson itself. As for the drums, they're a little bit more in front now. I knew nothing about gainstaging as of yesterday afternoon, lol. You can probably tell, but the mix is running out of room. I also learned more about slicing out problem frequencys so the guitars aren't as much of a mess now either, which was washing everything out I think
Haha, this is awesome. Anyone ever revisit old posts? The is the first mix I ever did, and man is it horrible.  Tongue I should try to remix these stems and see how much better I can do now!
Sure, do this all the time. That's why it's always a good idea to not delete your old mixes from a thread when you upload a new version Smile