Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crownoise Suit You! Would love some opinions!
Hi! How are you all doing, this is my take on the song, tell me what you think Big Grin?

.mp3    Suityou mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.17 MB)

There's a lot I like about the mix.
The lead guitar gets completely lost and I think that's the biggest complaint I have.
The piano may be a little over the top but I kinda like it.
The vocal is a little sibilant. It's not too bad but it's really my only complaint for the vocal.
The overall mix is too compressed. I love the tight sound of it but especially by the bridge it gets a little too tight. Keep in mind that the piano track is louder "on tape" during the bridge so it might be what's triggering the extra compression then. If you automate that back a bit it might ease up on the compressor and it work fine. Two other minor points are the the end of the solo and very end of the song. The solo has a noisy part right at the end that stands out and could be brought down. It steps on the vocals. The end of the song is chopped too abruptly and it just takes me out of the mix. It hits the breaks on the song too hard.

Overall, after a couple of listens it sounds great and the lead guitar is the only real 'problem'. As a mixer I notice the mix compression but I think it fits the song and give it a cool tone and I don't think an average listener would care.

Great job.
(18-06-2017, 05:04 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: There's a lot I like about the mix.
The lead guitar gets completely lost and I think that's the biggest complaint I have.
The piano may be a little over the top but I kinda like it.
The vocal is a little sibilant. It's not too bad but it's really my only complaint for the vocal.
The overall mix is too compressed. I love the tight sound of it but especially by the bridge it gets a little too tight. Keep in mind that the piano track is louder "on tape" during the bridge so it might be what's triggering the extra compression then. If you automate that back a bit it might ease up on the compressor and it work fine. Two other minor points are the the end of the solo and very end of the song. The solo has a noisy part right at the end that stands out and could be brought down. It steps on the vocals. The end of the song is chopped too abruptly and it just takes me out of the mix. It hits the breaks on the song too hard.

Overall, after a couple of listens it sounds great and the lead guitar is the only real 'problem'. As a mixer I notice the mix compression but I think it fits the song and give it a cool tone and I don't think an average listener would care.

Great job.

Hey again thanks for the reply! Yes i noticed i had bounced it to short ;O and had cpu problems so didn't wanna go over it again and have it all lagged out so, i didnt fix it (noob mistake i admit ;P) Ye i thought about that too, for some reason i always do that, keep the leads in the background something i really should work on, thanks!!
Not sure what's happening with your overheads and hat. Too much sizzle for my ears. Also it sounds a bit one dimensional. Not sure why you felt the need to bury the lead guitar especially since it was well recorded and well played. Most of your sounds are excellent just feel unfinished.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(19-06-2017, 02:18 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: Not sure what's happening with your overheads and hat. Too much sizzle for my ears. Also it sounds a bit one dimensional. Not sure why you felt the need to bury the lead guitar especially since it was well recorded and well played. Most of your sounds are excellent just feel unfinished.

ye i actually ran out of cpu so, keept crashing on me, will use less plugs next mix.
I think the others have nailed it with the last comments and I really don't want to rehash that too much.

For me the electronic sounding drums really aren't fitting here, adding a sub to the kick would be fine just to beef up the kick a bit but with the rest of the kit replaced it sounds silly. The stock drum sounds here are actually pretty well recorded and it doesn't take much to make them fit in the mix(they're probably samples to begin with because of the lack of bleed on the close mics or just heavily gated drums), sample replacement is pointless here and it would really free up your CPU to ditch those samples.

Your best bet would to start from scratch and just do a faders only mix, establish a proper balance and not worry about using effects or tricks, from there you can establish what needs some eq, compression, gating, ect, your CPU will thank you and you'll find yourself with a decent mix that you can play with afterwords. It's a really common mistake to try to "reinvent the wheel" with tracks you're handed by a band (I'm guilty of doing it as well Big Grin), the band generally knows what they want and unless that 1. they tell you to add effects or make arrangement changes, 2. Are unhappy with the sounds they've given you,, or 3. The tracks are unusable without modification should you do anything drastic in terms of effects or rearranging the song.

I don't mean to sound harsh, this really isn't a good mix, it's unbalanced, over processed, and doesn't work with the song. You have good ideas but they aren't finished, in this case your CPU maxed out and you got too ambitious, use your CPU limitations to your advantage and focus on balance and the other general housekeeping and you'll end up with a much better sounding mix.

Cheers,
Doug
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
thanks for the answers!
You really hate these solos don't you? Check out my mix for an alternative approach... ;-)

But anyway, on to technical issues! Let's face it, most of us without super awesome computers have faced the issue of the CPU being overloaded and the song crapping out at some point...

Does your DAW have the option to "freeze" or "render" tracks that are using lots of CPU power? This will pre-render the effects and "freeze" it to the current state, thus removing those high CPU usage plugins while keeping the effect. Usually there is a way to go back, but meanwhile you can forge ahead using the extra CPU cycles to do something else.

Good luck!
(19-06-2017, 06:46 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: I think the others have nailed it with the last comments and I really don't want to rehash that too much.

For me the electronic sounding drums really aren't fitting here, adding a sub to the kick would be fine just to beef up the kick a bit but with the rest of the kit replaced it sounds silly. The stock drum sounds here are actually pretty well recorded and it doesn't take much to make them fit in the mix(they're probably samples to begin with because of the lack of bleed on the close mics or just heavily gated drums), sample replacement is pointless here and it would really free up your CPU to ditch those samples.

Your best bet would to start from scratch and just do a faders only mix, establish a proper balance and not worry about using effects or tricks, from there you can establish what needs some eq, compression, gating, ect, your CPU will thank you and you'll find yourself with a decent mix that you can play with afterwords. It's a really common mistake to try to "reinvent the wheel" with tracks you're handed by a band (I'm guilty of doing it as well Big Grin), the band generally knows what they want and unless that 1. they tell you to add effects or make arrangement changes, 2. Are unhappy with the sounds they've given you,, or 3. The tracks are unusable without modification should you do anything drastic in terms of effects or rearranging the song.

I don't mean to sound harsh, this really isn't a good mix, it's unbalanced, over processed, and doesn't work with the song. You have good ideas but they aren't finished, in this case your CPU maxed out and you got too ambitious, use your CPU limitations to your advantage and focus on balance and the other general housekeeping and you'll end up with a much better sounding mix.

Cheers,
Doug
btw i never replaced any drums, i just wanted them to have a solid punch. (Real men don't need triggering ;P) Also as you can hear, it is compression and not any samples you are hearing, had them quite low in the mix...
(16-07-2017, 12:58 PM)CJ Fuller Wrote: You really hate these solos don't you? Check out my mix for an alternative approach... ;-)

But anyway, on to technical issues! Let's face it, most of us without super awesome computers have faced the issue of the CPU being overloaded and the song crapping out at some point...

Does your DAW have the option to "freeze" or "render" tracks that are using lots of CPU power? This will pre-render the effects and "freeze" it to the current state, thus removing those high CPU usage plugins while keeping the effect. Usually there is a way to go back, but meanwhile you can forge ahead using the extra CPU cycles to do something else.

Good luck!

Hi! I have recently found me a couple of low cpu plugs that sounds good, so i might have solved the problem for now on. Also, when i get a hand of some monitors and not these cheap headphones then maybe i wont be so keen on having everything so upfront witch is kind of addictive for ous younger people who like the ears being punished in a sustained way Wink...