Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Don't You Stay - HB Mix
Couldn't get my head past the rough mix stage until I found a decent reference track and there was something so familiar about some of the instrumentation and vocal phrasing it was driving me crazy! Finally figured it out..."Sonnet" by The Verve....Classic 90's British Rock/Pop

.mp3    Why Don\'t You Stay_HB Mix 1.0.mp3 --  (Download: 11.38 MB)

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Yeah. Now that you mention it Sonnet works well. I haven't listed to it in years but I can hear it in my head and there's some similarity.

My biggest issue with this mix is that it feel a little "grainy". I notice mostly on the kick. It makes the drums feel a little too aggressive and it doesn't fit the "sedate" quality of they rest of the song. It winds up pushing the tempo of the song somehow. Maybe it's just a kick level issue. It could come back some and lay the groove back. I think in the end the kick pattern the drummer played might could have been a little simpler. Though it's a little late to worry about that.

The guitar on the right feels a little stark and on it's own. My ears want something on the left to balance it out a little.
I like the "Paint brush" sound of the acoustics but I think they could have body body to fill out the mids of the song.

Overall it feels pretty good. There isn't anything to dislike. I think it just needs some adjustments.
Hey Roy, thanks for listening man. Appreciate the feedback Smile Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar