Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Fergessen - Back From The Start - Joe P mix
takka360: busy all around? or are more parts more crowded than others? Is it the delay extras?

I think that Xabix is right about the reverb. I am listening to this on laptop speakers now and the vocal reverb especially is jumping out. I think I might lower it overall and automate it in a little thicker in the whispering parts where it really works. It also might just be too long of a delay too, I can shorten the tail a bit. I'm actually working with a delay plugin that I am not familiar with at all. It's the lexicon hall reverb. It sounds great, there's just A LOT of paramaters and it's easy to get lost in it.

I like the little bass delay in the right channel, though it is WAY too loud on laptop speaker and I'm guessing a lot of other speakers for that matter.

As busy as this may sound to some (so far, one. ha), I believe that there is no such thing as experimenting too much. Getting this feedback is good, because then I can trim the fat and keep the little frills that really make it special.

I'll go back in this mix on the weekend and toy around and throw it back out there. Can't wait to hear everyone's responses.

Note on comments:
We are adults. I believe that we can all distinguish between one's personal taste/opinion and technical criticism. As a new member, I hope to see both of those things equally present. Don't be afraid to talk about what YOU like. For instance, I do not like this band for which I have done mixes of two songs already; it's just not my style though I am familiar with the sound. People like certain music because they have a taste for specific styles and sounds, and if they don't like what we're giving them, well, it's partly our fault.
I only bring this up because in a lot of threads it seems like people hold back a little. We can all be nice like Mike Senior says and do so while being honest. Comments like "this mix sounds like crap" is obviously in NO way helpful to anyone (not that I've seen that on ANY thread, which is why I like this forum), but comments like "if you pull the gain down on the string track and put a shorter predelay on the reverb it will sit much nicer in the mix" helps everyone move forward.

Good times, everyone.
soundcloud.com/joepalumbo

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fergessen - Back From The Start - Joe P mix - by joepalumbo - 03-07-2013, 03:50 PM