Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Suit, Yourself - UPDATED Mix C
Had a lot of fun with this one and it opened up some new ground for me.
In the end I am pretty happy with the mix and the energy but there are some things bugging me about the vocals in spots. I'd love some suggestion on how to deal with some intonation issues and some timing issues the lead.

I went for a big room sound with this which is an easy get for me. I had five FX busses and many in-line tricks going as well and plenty of automation.

A new mixing platform has allowed me more flexibility with the number of plugs I can load, so I may go a bit overboard.

Love to hear what you think.

Update: The first posting of this was mastered with very tired ears. It has been replaced.

Jet B - Suit You
6/17/2017

Jet B - Suit You Mix B
6/18/2017
This one I let sing a bit more with an emphasis on the environment from the bass.
This is very close to my vision for the song. I hope it worked out.

Jet B - Suit You Mix C
6/21/2017
Some minor tweaks to the mastering EQ to ease the clutter in the low mids.

.mp3    Jet B - Suit You.mp3 --  (Download: 8.4 MB)

.mp3    Jet B - Suit You Mix B.mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

.mp3    Jet B - Suit You Mix C.mp3 --  (Download: 7.88 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Nice Work ,I like Both Versions ,Mix B is my Favourite ,I like the kick may be a touch full around the 300-400 area probably just a taste thing to my ears !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Hi Mixinthecloud mix b is also my favourite,the vocal on second verse sounds different, seems to stick out I think automation with eq on vocals will do the trick good mix though.
(18-06-2017, 01:57 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Mixinthecloud mix b is also my favourite,the vocal on second verse sounds different, seems to stick out I think automation with eq on vocals will do the trick good mix though.

Hey Cudjoe. thanks for the listen. I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are you speaking of the lead vocal in the 2nd verse?

Thanks.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(18-06-2017, 08:43 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice Work ,I like Both Versions ,Mix B is my Favourite ,I like the kick may be a touch full around the 300-400 area probably just a taste thing to my ears !

Cheers Big Grin

I add some low end below that in the mastering and I think I may have used too heavy a hand. I'll need to listen on bigger speakers. Thanks for the feed back, Don.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(18-06-2017, 10:34 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(18-06-2017, 01:57 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Mixinthecloud mix b is also my favourite,the vocal on second verse sounds different, seems to stick out I think automation with eq on vocals will do the trick good mix though.

Hey Cudjoe. thanks for the listen. I'm not sure I understand your comment. Are you speaking of the lead vocal in the 2nd verse?

Thanks.
Yeah sorry the lead vocal it feels a little louder, I think it is the recording it self nothing a bit of automation can't fix.
(18-06-2017, 08:43 AM)thedon Wrote: Nice Work ,I like Both Versions ,Mix B is my Favourite ,I like the kick may be a touch full around the 300-400 area probably just a taste thing to my ears !

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks Don. After listening on another system I modified the low mids in Mix C. I think this helped a lot. Thanks for the input.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi Mitc,

Listening to the 3 mixes with headphone on, I like the improvement to the bass in the third mix. Mixes 1-2 are a bit wooly as Don suggested. Very noticeable with the toms ringing on.
Overall I think they all sound great, my only critique would be with the kick snare balance. For me the kick sounds very forward whist the snare sounds more pushed back and at times sounds a little lost to the powerful kick. In saying that, the kick consistency throughout the song is very good! Well DoneSmile

(22-06-2017, 12:41 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi Mitc,

Listening to the 3 mixes with headphone on, I like the improvement to the bass in the third mix. Mixes 1-2 are a bit wooly as Don suggested. Very noticeable with the toms ringing on.
Overall I think they all sound great, my only critique would be with the kick snare balance. For me the kick sounds very forward whist the snare sounds more pushed back and at times sounds a little lost to the powerful kick. In saying that, the kick consistency throughout the song is very good! Well DoneSmile

Ha! Yes. I think I may have fallen in love with the kick drum in this one. Mix 3 I dropped some of the frequency content but it is still pretty heavy. In line with a metal style mix. I have a colleague who beats me over the head with getting the kick up on those kinds of mixes so I think it is a result of that thinking. Thanks for the input and the listen.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(22-06-2017, 12:44 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(22-06-2017, 12:41 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Hi Mitc,

Ha! Yes. I think I may have fallen in love with the kick drum in this one. Mix 3 I dropped some of the frequency content but it is still pretty heavy. In line with a metal style mix. I have a colleague who beats me over the head with getting the kick up on those kinds of mixes so I think it is a result of that thinking. Thanks for the input and the listen.

Maybe, you can leave the kick sounding fairly big, and just bring the snare forward a bit to match. I think the snare does a great job in driving this song along when it's got the right amount of energy behind it.