Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mandubien's mix
Hey friends !

I love that song so much ! Blitzzz and co have amazing talent and production is fantastic as usual !!

Here's my mix. I've add a riser and a boom FX for each chorus start, and muted some backing vocals here and there.

It's a mixed version with a limiter, not mastered at all.

Cheers
Florian

.mp3    Hammer Down v1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.77 MB)

Definitely hearing some NTM influence on this mix - it sounds pretty massive if you ask me. You took care of a lot of tricky problems like the double bass parts which can be overwhelming if not taken care of.

With this beeing said, the mix itself is too bright for my taste. I´m missing the beefy mids on the guitars and the bass when I compare it with the ref track. Try to push 750 hz on the bass (if you have Slate's VMR, use the neve eq and dial in to taste) until bass and rhythm guitars are closer together. Learned that trick from Nollys NTM live mix and it does make a huge difference.

Other than that it's a solid, well crafted mix with attention to detail.
Hey ! Thank you for your comment Smile

Yeah after mixing Meshuggah, Gojira, Saosin and Architects, I'm getting used to this kind of sound. I've decided to try some of these influences on your song.
I used Angra as reference track, so maybe the song I used was a bit bright too. If you were my client, it would not be a problem at all to make it sound less bright. I'll try to fix that in the next version.

I already boost quite some mids in the bass, 800 Hz if I remember well. But I'll try to fix it to make it fit better with the guitars. I don't use Slate for now, cause NTM Enhanced + Slate is quite expensive. But I have cool EQ plugins that worth to be tried.

I'll update the thread probably this weekend.

Cheers !
And here's version 2, trying to fix that bass.

.mp3    Hammer Down v2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.77 MB)