Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet B - Suit You - my mix
Hi everyone!

I've been following this site for a while and listened to many great mixes. As I happened to have some spare time today I decided to have a go at this song. So here it is - my mix here.

.mp3    JetB_3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.4 MB)

It not bad. A couple of things jump out at me.
-The chorus vocals are pretty loud. I appreciate the dynamic pop but it's a bit too much.
-The verse/bridge vocal could use some automation to even out the different levels of the lines.
-The snare could come down.
Overall the biggest thing I notice with the mix is that it feels "crowded". I picture everyone playing in a small room. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I'm not sure it totally fits the song. It doesn't feel mono but very close to it. I think you can pan things out more and give the parts more room to work. In general all the tones work. It's not an unpleasant sounding mix. It could just use tweaks to get it a little more solid.
Hope that helps.
(15-06-2017, 01:34 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: -The chorus vocals are pretty loud. I appreciate the dynamic pop but it's a bit too much.
I think you can pan things out more and give the parts more room to work.

Thanks for the feedback! I agree with the points you made. The chorus volume level was a last moment change. I listened to the track after I had bounced it and thought the chorus didn't stand out enough. I tried to fix that by raising the volume a little, but listening to it now I can hear it was a bad decision.

As for the panning, I didn't pay enough attention to it. I tend to make the mistake that I mix for too long periods without a pause and as a result I really can't hear what I'm doing anymore. Smile