Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cog In The Machine - Mix by Olli H
I'm not sure if anybody is following this old thread, but I still wanted to try this great song by this great artist.

I had two references for this. Other was the mix made by Fab Dupont. Fab's version was perfect as such, but I didn't want to spend my practicing time by copying his fader moves and plugin settings. So my second reference was totally different song by Daniel Lanois (I'm not Fighting any more).

I used quite much the room mic.
With drums and bass I didn't do much.
I made a left-right pair out of violin and acoustic guitar. I used stereo widening delay trick with them.
Vocals was difficult to me. I used to de-essers and two compressors and three reverbs.

EDIT: Second version added

.mp3    Will-Knox-Coq-in-the-Machine-Olli-H-2013-07-03.mp3 --  (Download: 6.78 MB)

.mp3    Will-Knox-Coq-in-the-Machine-Olli-H-2013-07-02.mp3 --  (Download: 6.78 MB)

Hi Olli H,

don't worry some people still seem to listen to this song.

This mix seems pretty well balanced and though the voice is rather dry (you did use 3 reverbs on it? Pretty invisible!), it still works.

The guitar is getting a bit out of hands at around 1:40. If that was a fade move on purpose you went too far, if not, try to solve it.

The violin solo proves a bit problematic here, but that is as much part of the arrangement as of the mix. When the singer stops singing, there is a lot of space to be filled and that solo does not do it on it's own. Let the violin step forward a bit and see what that does to your mix.

Cheers
Artbass
Thanks Artbass,

(03-07-2013, 10:38 AM)Artbass Wrote: This mix seems pretty well balanced and though the voice is rather dry (you did use 3 reverbs on it? Pretty invisible!), it still works.

With this mix I wanted to try the idea that singer is in front alone (dry) and the rest of the band is surrounding him somewhere behind. I also wanted to test the reverb technique that Fab Dupont teaches in his video where he mixes this song. I suggest everyone to check it, it's free. It's one of the best introductions to "how to use reverbs"

I made also some other small tweaks.
Acoustic guitar tamed 2 db on "wild" parts.
Violin up 2 db on solo, and violin reverbs down 2 db on solo to make the violin come nearer.
Just a little bit more reverb to vocals.

I added the file to the first post. But I just can't figure out how I can change the order of the files? Or should I add the changed file to this post?
Sounds good to me overall. I don't think the vocal is too dry, I wanted a more intimate vocal for my mix too. You could perhaps add some very subtle delay to it.

The solo fiddle should be centered IMO.

Regards,
Steffen
Great mix Olli.
Sounds very well in headphones.
Verb levels are excellent.
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order
Sounds great ,Love the sound of the bass and guitars especially !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks for listening!
great sound!! Even though I know about the three reverbs, I can't hear them but I believe, those subtle things really make a difference!
mixing since April 2013
Don't know is that my room (resonance) or to much bass. Song is amazing. For me, your mix is to dry but this is my subjecitve opinion. Rest is great Smile If u will have time please check my mix of this song.

PS. Just listened Artbass mix and there is no big resonance in bass.
Probably too much bass. Thanks for listening.