Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jet B: 'Suit You'
What a great Rock song ,
For some reason the first thing that come to mind was the Awesome vocals and guitars has a similar vibe to Martha and the Muffins 1979 Echo beach meets Green day !
Here is Version 1,
As usual need more work ,would love some ideas by fellow mixers who have posted or about to post a A mix on this awesome Site including of course Mike ,Producer ,musicians in the band and Or the Artist Big Grin

Cheers Big Grin

.mp3    Jet B Suit You-V-1..mp3 --  (Download: 8.52 MB)

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Feel good. I don't really have any complaints. One minor issue is the Lead Vocal in the Chorus. Because she goes into a head voice the singer loses a bit of that vocal body and size. It pushes and becomes more aggressive which fits the chorus but also gets a little smaller than the verse. That and the chorus has more going on so it has to fight more with the track. It's subtle but I think in general the chorus lead vocal needs a little more help to get the whole section rise above the verse.

The piano in the bridge is a bit loud. I want to say the snare could come up but it's probably ok. Maybe a bit of reverb would add something to it to hi light it a little more.

Other than that it all feels pretty good. A little dry but this isn't a track that needs much.
Good job.
Hi don nice mix i do feel the lead vocal is a little dry and because of it sounds a little disconnected imo and as you already know the piano is a little loud well done.
I agree with the Vox being a bit dry. Maybe tucking them down in the mix just a little bit will help the mix feel more connected.

Maybe your lead line licks (that come in the verses) can come up a bit too.

Nothing sounds bad in the mix, but there is some kind of groove thing I'm missing. Maybe it's something with the drums. Maybe a larger room for them? I think I am missing a bloom from the set.

Again, your mix is clean, and things aren't stepping over each other, except maybe the vox is stepping on the band a bit (and that piano is loud as you know).

I wanna take my hand at this track now!

Cheers
Draper
Sonic-ally great Don!

It sounds to me like there is a RMS style of compressor on the master though, just riding the overall volume a bit. It's like the volume is being pulled down with some of the bass notes at times. not sure.
There is certainly that 70's sound going on. Sounds like it could be coming straight off a record. Good vibe.Smile

"Martha And The Muffins" What a great name.Big Grin
(12-06-2017, 01:22 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Feel good. I don't really have any complaints. One minor issue is the Lead Vocal in the Chorus. Because she goes into a head voice the singer loses a bit of that vocal body and size. It pushes and becomes more aggressive which fits the chorus but also gets a little smaller than the verse. That and the chorus has more going on so it has to fight more with the track. It's subtle but I think in general the chorus lead vocal needs a little more help to get the whole section rise above the verse.

The piano in the bridge is a bit loud. I want to say the snare could come up but it's probably ok. Maybe a bit of reverb would add something to it to hi light it a little more.

Other than that it all feels pretty good. A little dry but this isn't a track that needs much.
Good job.

I will have a play around with automation or even try some saturation on the vocals which I like in Kapu's mix.
The piano definitely needs some more automation ,I have a couple of mixdowns with all different kinds of snares and kicks , does need some more reverb.
Cheers Big Grin

(12-06-2017, 05:50 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi don nice mix i do feel the lead vocal is a little dry and because of it sounds a little disconnected imo and as you already know the piano is a little loud well done.

Thanks for having a listen Cudjoe ,
The next mix will have more effects on the vocals.

Cheers Big Grin

(13-06-2017, 01:50 AM)loweche6 Wrote: I agree with the Vox being a bit dry. Maybe tucking them down in the mix just a little bit will help the mix feel more connected.

Maybe your lead line licks (that come in the verses) can come up a bit too.

Nothing sounds bad in the mix, but there is some kind of groove thing I'm missing. Maybe it's something with the drums. Maybe a larger room for them? I think I am missing a bloom from the set.

Again, your mix is clean, and things aren't stepping over each other, except maybe the vox is stepping on the band a bit (and that piano is loud as you know).

I wanna take my hand at this track now!

Cheers
Draper

Hey Draper ,
Thanks for having a listen ,Good point with the drums ,will have a play around with the room tracks effects and some parallel compression and play around with the guitar levels .
Give it a go it's a great song to mix and listen to Smile

Cheers Big Grin

Pretty solid mix, Don. It has a very even sound and is well balanced. My main issue is with the vocal, the processing detracts from the aggressive tone of the song and they sit a bit far in front. It needs more grit, dynamics and maybe some delay. Also, the guitar levels seem to drop noticeably when the vocals come in and the song loses a bit of it's driving force. I'd probably drop the level of the piano and remove some of the low-mids from it too. Cheers, Mick
(13-06-2017, 05:59 AM)Dangerous Wrote: Sonic-ally great Don!

It sounds to me like there is a RMS style of compressor on the master though, just riding the overall volume a bit. It's like the volume is being pulled down with some of the bass notes at times. not sure.
There is certainly that 70's sound going on. Sounds like it could be coming straight off a record. Good vibe.Smile

"Martha And The Muffins" What a great name.Big Grin
Hi Dave ,I used a ssl bus compressor on the master bus ,will check the attack.
Thanks for the feedback Big Grin

Cheers Big Grin