Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Does it suit you guys ?
Hey folks !

Here's my mix. Did not really know what to do with it... I know I need to practice my creativity :p

What do you think ?

Cheers
Florian

.mp3    Suit You.mp3 --  (Download: 4.74 MB)

It sounds pretty good. I like the hi-hat accents but it mat be a little loud. It feels disconnected from the mix. Maybe a bit of reverb might make it feel a bit more connected to the band. Though then it might get washy. Other than that I can't hear anything that really feels off or that bothers me.

I don't think this track needs much 'creativity'. It's a pretty straight forward rock tune.

Good job.
Hey Roy !

Thanks for your kind comment Smile Yeah those hats gave me some headaches ! I finally used a limiter to calm those accents but too much of limiting caused weird effects. I guess automation will be my best friend here. I'll try to fix that !

Interesting. I thought you accentuated the accents on purpose. I did know the hh part had a lot of dynamics but on your mix it was the first time I really heard what it was playing. I think it works and I like the accents as they are. It may just need to come back a bit or at least feel more a part of the kit. Which is tricky since it's all programmed.
If I was working on this one again and really wanted to mess with the hi-hat I'd probably try separating the part and put the open and half opened hats on their own track and mess with the balance and maybe effects. Then I'd realize how long it'd take and give up.
At a time I wondered myself whether I had to retrack the drums myself or not... Then I remembered that my left leg is injured so I must not play drums for the next days :p

[EDIT] and here's my little update. So I automated the hats, add some tube saturation on the rhythm guitars (are those real amped guitars or sims ??) and cut the intro to make it more punchy.

.mp3    Suit You v2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.62 MB)

Apart from that hihat still being a bit loud it sounds good,thanks for sharing.
I agree with Cudjoe; the hihat keeps jumping out. Sounds very smooth and balanced. Nice work, indeed!
Sounds solid on my monitors ,there is some loose resonance that may need some taming , I think it is the guitars in the side channels below 200.
For example In the verse at at the end of the guitar strum 0.13 ,0.16 ,0.19 ect.
Very minor nit pic on a really good mix !

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Thanks guys for your feedback.
Damned hats :p

As a producer, I would have reprogrammed them. I'm gonna give it a try after finishing my current mix.
I'll try some multiband compression on the guitars to make their low end sound smoother.

Alright ! Hope those @&/%$€ hats are good this time Smile

.mp3    Suit You v3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.62 MB)