Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodfire: 'Outer _'
This is one of those recordings where there are many mixing temptations, all of which should generally be avoided in my opinion. The tonal characteristics of the raw recordings were already quite effective, with the majority of work required around balancing.

.mp3    Outer.mp3 --  (Download: 8.26 MB)

Sounds good to me. Everything is balanced and it feels like a band.
The only thing I noticed is that the guitar might be a little loud in the "bridge" section where there's only one vocal. But that's minor.

Good job.
Great power and space! Some highly subjective points. The main guitars in combination with the vocals are almost constantly 'hard drilling' at around 2kHz. When listening the original version that was the first thing I thought needs to be fixed, without any reference. Or perhaps it's just my ears. And after downloading the tracks realized, that the sounds were in the original tracks. After some eq balancing with guitars I noticed that now nothing works and everything sounds horrible, and it was actually that drilling guitar that had masked pretty much everything else that was wrong, and discovered that the song needed a lot more work than initially I thought. Especially the tambourine and the nastiness of vocals, although vocals sound ok in the C section. Just thinking out loud because this same guitar sound is present in almost every mix here, the sound that I thought is the first thing that needs fixing. I'd say should consider readjusting the guitar sound, but on the other hand it seems a very common choice between the mixes here, so it could also be totally ok. Anyway, great work with the drums and the overall punch. Also the main glue feels very right! ^_^
(08-06-2017, 02:19 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Sounds good to me. Everything is balanced and it feels like a band.
The only thing I noticed is that the guitar might be a little loud in the "bridge" section where there's only one vocal. But that's minor.

Good job.

Thanks Roy, appreciate it. Funny you should mention the chorused guitar section in the bridge, I was thinking I maybe pushed those a little haha. The rhythmic quality was so aesthetically pleasing I couldn't resist.

(08-06-2017, 10:20 PM)kapu Wrote: Great power and space! Some highly subjective points. The main guitars in combination with the vocals are almost constantly 'hard drilling' at around 2kHz. When listening the original version that was the first thing I thought needs to be fixed, without any reference. Or perhaps it's just my ears. And after downloading the tracks realized, that the sounds were in the original tracks. After some eq balancing with guitars I noticed that now nothing works and everything sounds horrible, and it was actually that drilling guitar that had masked pretty much everything else that was wrong, and discovered that the song needed a lot more work than initially I thought. Especially the tambourine and the nastiness of vocals, although vocals sound ok in the C section. Just thinking out loud because this same guitar sound is present in almost every mix here, the sound that I thought is the first thing that needs fixing. I'd say should consider readjusting the guitar sound, but on the other hand it seems a very common choice between the mixes here, so it could also be totally ok. Anyway, great work with the drums and the overall punch. Also the main glue feels very right! ^_^

Thanks Kapu, just left a message on your thread with some further thoughts on this song. Cheers, Mick