Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodfire: 'Outer _'
Hello guys,
It wasnt easy but i tried to mix this track so here it is. Won't mess with it anymore cause my computer almost burnt Smile
Let me know what do you think.
Lethan

PS. Final mix is somewhere down below called WoodfireF1.mp3

Edit 2018
Another mix after one year. Sorry no Toms.

.mp3    WoodfireB.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

.mp3    woodfire - outer_2018.mp3 --  (Download: 8.76 MB)

Hi! Seems that the stereo effect on guitar is overly wide and/or has some phase issues. Although the 'outside of speakers' effect works in some situations, this might not be the case. They could be at a bit lower level too. Love the punch and energy of the overall sound! Good job!
Hey Kapu,
Thanks for your comment,
You are right, i messed with guitar with some stereo tool and it has weird effect as a result, i also dropped down the guitars a bit.
Below i'm dropping fixed version. Thanks.
Cheers.
Ps Final mix is 4 posts below called WoodfireF1.mp3 Cheers

.mp3    Woodfire - fixed guitars2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

.mp3    Woodfire_fixed guitars_final.mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

(07-06-2017, 11:40 AM)Lethan Wrote: Hey Kapu, [...]

Are you sure you uploaded right file? Sound of second mp3 feels almost identical to first one? Anyways, thanks for noticing feedback. ^_^
Hey Kapu,
You are right again Smile
On guitar bus i had Stereo spliter by Quadelectra Audioworks, i Thought that this is the problem as from time to time it can mess up with stereo, but like you noticed not much changed when i turned it out, There is small difference but not much noticable. So... i checked the phase, and switched it on left guitar, and to me the guitars restored some punch. To me it is a bit better. Let me know what do you think. I added "final version" to the post above.
Cheers.
I only checked out the 'final' version.

It sounds pretty good. The guitar might be a bit loud in relation to everything else. Especially in the bridge. I think it could be tucked back a little bit and I think the overall band sound would give the song more punch.

Good job.
Thanks Roy for the comment. I did follow your sugesstions. Hoply its a bit better. Cheers!

.mp3    WoodfireF1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.24 MB)

Hmm... I'm guessing you're trying build a bigger guitar sound than the source tracks allow. You can make a wall type sound of main guitars, but I'd suggest you first try to match the tone colour of separate mics individually. The first mic was quite sharp and the second darker, so make them sound more similar with each other with eq. Slow frequency analyzer will help, but use ears for final judgement. Then pan them wide and listen to the sound, and then listen to them mono summed. Switch back and forth. Although the volume will drop when monoed, the sound colour shouldn't change too much. In other words, try to minimize the difference between stereo and mono sound to as small as possible. When you think it's good enough, drive them through a stereo bus and fit them with the rest of the mix with adjusting level and broader stereo eq on the bus. I don't think that mix should be 100% mono compatible, not by a long shot, but on the latest version the stereo image still feels a bit over-wide. It might be also the drum overheads or room contributing to this, so you could experiment also with them using similar approach. A good tactic is muting individidual elements of the mix in turn, and listen which element you think clearly makes the mix worse. There's always one, at least when I'm mixing. ^_^ Anyways, I think the groove and bang factor is right with your mix and if you're happy with the stereo image then go with it.
Thanks Kapu for the input.
I will try to use your advices next time if similar recording gets under my hands in the future. In this session, at this point Cpu refuses any cooperation Smile
You might be absolutely right, about the stereo of guitars. I find my self over widening them(looking for more space for bass and vox in the center) so i will try to not push the stereo in the next mixes. Thanks very much.
Martin
Just a small update,
New mix after one year. Let me know what do you think.