Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aeternum Vale - pmilani mix
nice song, really like the choirs, very evocative
here is my mix

.m4a    ScottElliott_AeternumVale_Full-mix1.m4a --  (Download: 14.49 MB)

Revised mix. On a fresher listen, I thought I needed a bit more emphasis for orchestra parts.

.m4a    ScottElliott_AeternumVale_Full-mix2.m4a --  (Download: 14.49 MB)

First one seems a bit too thin sounding with heavy upfront kick drum, the second one has clear sounding warmer distorted guitars and more pleasant sounding ride with less high frequency noise from close miking on kick drum. Snare might sound too dry compared to everything else, it's just a matter of vibe and so called production style (and monitors) one wants to create.
I think if it's a symphonic black metal or anything then it can sound more like an orchestra where individual elements doesn't overpower each other and blend into something cohesive, if it's an black thrash metal with occasional pagan folk elements then the production style can be more of a harsher sounding where each instrument stands out during it's solo part or dedicated part.
Overall percussion sound too dry, and too bright for me .
Hey there,

Cool that you decided to accentuate a lot of the choral work - different way of hearing my song and it was unexpected. I listened to the second mix, and the kick drum is just way too loud and upfront in the mix. I think in a few areas you could use some automation to let the guitar lines come out more and push the strings back - but again, it's a mixing opinion since you wanted to have the strings take center stage. Also, careful with those sound FX, they are pretty loud and jump out of the mix and it's almost scary, haha. If you want to see how I mixed and recorded this, I have a whole series on my YouTube about it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...xt_z6XZ9ss