Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Suit You, Suit Me, Suit Everybody
(14-06-2017, 03:55 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: Hey Dave.....listening to version 2. Man, you got a real sort of "live" sound there....NICE! It feels like a concert in Central Park in the 70's....took me right back there! I don't know if it was your intent to make it sound like a concert setting but it does with the possible exception of the vocal. In other words, the whole band has that wet sound but the vocals are dry by comparison, but that is minor indeed. This song was a challenge wasn't it? I mean, the tracks were very clear so in order to make it really rock lots of tricks were needed, which I hear in all our mixes, including saturation, heavier levels of compression, etc. Overall your mix brought a nice smile to my face....great job!

Tom
P.S. Going to listen to Don's version and see if he's got a nice beater going....and I'll check his bass.....lolololol!

Thanks Tom, I'm not sure it was my intent, more so just following my ears and trying to set the foundation quickly and going from there. I can agree with the band vs vocal thing. If I go back into this mix I will try and balance this up a bit more taking into account this and the other comments made here with some tweaks. That been said, I should be able to walk away with a say no more "Super Mix"..... That would be nice. In my dreams.....

Oh yeah, I'm very envious of Don's drum mixing ability as a whole. His snare sounds are always sooo nice. Maybe it's his NS10's but more likely his brilliance.

(15-06-2017, 09:26 AM)Royal Brandy Wrote: I like this one a lot Smile (#2)
Well done!

Thanks for the Comment. Means a lot RBBig Grin

Cheers
The first mix gives me a feeling of a live performance of the song. I feel the drums and bass could be boosted. I think your tonal qualities are great my your balances between instruments and voices is off in mix 1. Mix 2 gets much thicker and fuller. In both you find great space for the piano. I was not so fortunate.

This song offers a lot of approaches and determining when you are done with this song may be a long process.

Did you catch the harmonic changes to the kick drum through the song?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(18-06-2017, 06:46 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: The first mix gives me a feeling of a live performance of the song. I feel the drums and bass could be boosted. I think your tonal qualities are great my your balances between instruments and voices is off in mix 1. Mix 2 gets much thicker and fuller. In both you find great space for the piano. I was not so fortunate.

This song offers a lot of approaches and determining when you are done with this song may be a long process.

Did you catch the harmonic changes to the kick drum through the song?

It wasn't my objective to make it live sounding, but it certainly turned out that way. I have been working on a version #3 which is a little more dynamic , I'm just deciding whether I think it's an improvement or not. With the piano, I processed it with lots of distortion from camel. Sounds terrible on it's own but did help in the mix without making it sound too unnatural.

"Did you catch the harmonic changes to the kick drum through the song?"
No not effectively, anyway. I struggled big time with the consistency of the kick. I could have replaced it but thought I would persevere.

I enjoyed this one. A great song to work with.
Quote:"Did you catch the harmonic changes to the kick drum through the song?"
No not effectively, anyway. I struggled big time with the consistency of the kick. I could have replaced it but thought I would persevere.

I mentioned this because I put some short reverb on the kick and when listening to it solo'd you can hear the harmonic content of the kick change with the changes in the song and the dynamics of the strike of the beater. I have always wondered why the tuning of kick drums doesn't modulate with changes in a song (going to the fundamental) when using a sample. I think I am hearing it here. Whatever the source of these changes in content, I think it works very well.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(22-06-2017, 12:51 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

I mentioned this because I put some short reverb on the kick and when listening to it solo'd you can hear the harmonic content of the kick change with the changes in the song and the dynamics of the strike of the beater. I have always wondered why the tuning of kick drums doesn't modulate with changes in a song (going to the fundamental) when using a sample. I think I am hearing it here. Whatever the source of these changes in content, I think it works very well.

Interesting observation. I have never experimented with tuning a kick to the fundamental freqs of a song. I would love to hear a example of a track with the kick tuned this way compared to a standard static kick, just to hear how advantageous the process would be.
(01-07-2017, 01:57 PM)Dangerous Wrote:
(22-06-2017, 12:51 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

Interesting observation. I have never experimented with tuning a kick to the fundamental freqs of a song. I would love to hear a example of a track with the kick tuned this way compared to a standard static kick, just to hear how advantageous the process would be.

Well in retrospect what I think I am hearing is a sampled kick which is modulated by the keyboard player who entered the patterns.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
@Dangerous: What you hear is a multi-velocity kick sample. So when you hit it at 5 different velocities (soft, med, hard, etc from 0 to 127) the kick will not sound the same. Just like no two snare hits (let's say left and right hand) sound the same. So if you program two kicks, one with velocity 100 and the next with +/- 5 they will not sound the same. It's not just volume.

Even when a drummer has a "heavy foot", on a track like this with 16th notes or triplets you will not have two kicks that sound completely the same anyway. But most of the times, because there is spill from other mics you can't really tell. It's only when you have nothing but the kick on the kick track that it becomes magnified and you can discern every single nuance of it. Wink
(01-07-2017, 09:50 PM)Royal Brandy Wrote: @Dangerous: What you hear is a multi-velocity kick sample. So when you hit it at 5 different velocities (soft, med, hard, etc from 0 to 127) the kick will not sound the same. Just like no two snare hits (let's say left and right hand) sound the same. So if you program two kicks, one with velocity 100 and the next with +/- 5 they will not sound the same. It's not just volume.

Even when a drummer has a "heavy foot", on a track like this with 16th notes or triplets you will not have two kicks that sound completely the same anyway. But most of the times, because there is spill from other mics you can't really tell. It's only when you have nothing but the kick on the kick track that it becomes magnified and you can discern every single nuance of it. Wink

Great explanation.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(02-07-2017, 02:22 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(01-07-2017, 09:50 PM)Royal Brandy Wrote: @Dangerous: What you hear is a multi-velocity kick sample....

Great explanation.

+1, Thanks for sharing this Big Grin