Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Suit You, Suit Me, Suit Everybody
(13-06-2017, 06:51 AM)kapu Wrote: Sounds good! I like hearing the parallel compression, or I'm not sure if it's parallel, but compression anyway. The idea for ending worked for me, maybe the edits there could have been smoother. Great work!
Thanks Kupu. In particular, I think the reverb tale at the end could be refined a little and be more natural sounding.
(13-06-2017, 11:07 AM)mick2015 Wrote: Hey Dave, I like Mix 2 better, the overall tone is quite good. I'd like to hear a bit more separation and interplay between the instruments, sounds a bit cluttered at the moment. Could be over-saturated perhaps. The very first hit of the kick drum at the start smacks really hard then dips back quite drastically into the mix when the rest of the instruments come in. Sounds like some masking and perhaps a bit too much buss compression.

Thanks Mick,

I'm thinking I may have too much cross field reverb on the guitars which could be mashing them up too much. I agree the kick is all over the place. You are probably hearing some poor automation moves and poor processing in general which hasn't really worked that well. I don't have much bus compression going on, just a parallel comp bus being pushed hard minus the drums. Perhaps a replacement kick would be the go like you used.
(13-06-2017, 11:59 AM)thedon Wrote: Hey Dave ,Listening to version 2 ,I like the vibe , the buss compressor may just need backing off ,unless that's the sound your are going for.
Thinking maybe some upper bass could cut through a touch more.
Like your ideas !

Cheers Big Grin

I was trying to go for that pushed sound but not necessary loudness. Just an experiment I guess. It sounds like I need to back off the parallel comp bus a smidgen though.

Thanks for your thoughts.
(13-06-2017, 01:13 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hey Dave !

Yummy I really love your mix ! Just the bass that could come up a little bit. Love that saturation you put !

Wow, thanks Mandubien!

The whole saturation thing seems to be a difficult one to get right. I will endeavour to get some more bass sound into the mix.

Thanks againBig Grin
(13-06-2017, 03:04 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Hey Dave. I like V2. I do agree with don. It feels just a little restrained. Especially (and maybe only) the vocals. Level wise they're fine but the overall tone of the vocal feels too compressed. I like the sound but it needs some breathing room. Maybe you could fold in some of the uncompressed vocal and that might help. It's not terrible though. A minor point.

The bass could come up or maybe just bring out some of the upper mids more. It's hard to be sure on the earbuds but I think the bass is anchoring the mix just fine but some of it's notes could come through more.

There's a minor little click/noise at about :40

The only thing that bothers me is that the guitar that plays the riffs in the verses feels loud during the riffs (gtr 1? Panned right). The rhythm feels ok.

Good job.

Thanks for the follow up.
Yes the vocals are annoying me now. There is just too much parallel comp going on.
I am going to get my daughters ear buds and see if I can tune the bass response up through these whist making sure the mix still works through my monitors. This approach might work in finding that right balance.
I will look into the guitars also.

Cheers
(13-06-2017, 04:43 PM)Cudjoe Wrote: Hi Dave i prefer mix1 def sounds less compressed good work.

Thanks Cudjoe, all in the name of "Fun" Yeah, less compressed is good!
To be honest my bass comment is more of a personal taste thing than an earbud thing. I mean, it can't hurt to check your mixes on different setups and especially earbuds because they're so ubiquitous. But they don't really have anything special going on for them.

The bass on this one is a little tricky because it's a programmed bass part so it has a weird, or at least different upper mid sound than most bass guitars. On re-listen I think part of it is that the upper part of the bass is in the same area as the piano. Again it's not really bad at all. As someone who's mixed this on I know what's there so I suppose I'm looking for it. A causal listen wouldn't think about it. I suppose that's part of the trap with analyzing mixes here is that we know every track and it's hard to take a step back and listen to the whole finished product. Instead of just eating the stew we pick at the potatoes.
Hey Dave.....listening to version 2. Man, you got a real sort of "live" sound there....NICE! It feels like a concert in Central Park in the 70's....took me right back there! I don't know if it was your intent to make it sound like a concert setting but it does with the possible exception of the vocal. In other words, the whole band has that wet sound but the vocals are dry by comparison, but that is minor indeed. This song was a challenge wasn't it? I mean, the tracks were very clear so in order to make it really rock lots of tricks were needed, which I hear in all our mixes, including saturation, heavier levels of compression, etc. Overall your mix brought a nice smile to my face....great job!

Tom
P.S. Going to listen to Don's version and see if he's got a nice beater going....and I'll check his bass.....lolololol!
tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
I like this one a lot Smile (#2)
Well done!
(14-06-2017, 02:27 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: To be honest my bass comment is more of a personal taste thing than an earbud thing. I mean, it can't hurt to check your mixes on different setups and especially earbuds because they're so ubiquitous. But they don't really have anything special going on for them.

The bass on this one is a little tricky because it's a programmed bass part so it has a weird, or at least different upper mid sound than most bass guitars. On re-listen I think part of it is that the upper part of the bass is in the same area as the piano. Again it's not really bad at all. As someone who's mixed this on I know what's there so I suppose I'm looking for it. A causal listen wouldn't think about it. I suppose that's part of the trap with analyzing mixes here is that we know every track and it's hard to take a step back and listen to the whole finished product. Instead of just eating the stew we pick at the potatoes.

I do trust your judgement Roy, whether it's subjective or not. One thing I really try to work hard on is translation. So I'm aways checking on different devices, Small bluetooth speakers, my latest addition. With so much music being consumed today through "buds" I'm being ignorant not to at lease check my balances and sound scape with these devices.
Interesting as far as analysing mixes on this site. For me I mostly love critiquing songs before I've explored the multi's and mixed them myself. I think this is purely for your reason above. I love listening to how a song in presented in different styles and flavours without the knowledge of the details or the ingredients. Likewise I find I become too blinded to give an objective critque whist working with a track and really need a break from the song for a few days to reset my senses and become open minded again. I generally mix with an almost spontaneous and instinctive driven direction for good or bad. Not a good state of mind for analysing others work.
This is why I also have an open mind with others critiquing my mixes. There will always be something that I will overlook, overcook or miss the mark with, that other Ears will help with.Smile