Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Piece of Me EB Mix
Here is my version. I automated the panning a bit to keep the guitars a little tighter in the verses and exploded some of them wide during the chorus's and instrumental breaks. With a stereo imager they still sound big without the mix falling a part in mono. I also used a DeEsser on the Overheads and Room mic's to calm the crashes down a bit. I multed the double kick parts so I could have independent control of the release settings on my compressor to time it to the quick hits. I did a bunch of fader rides on the vocals and bass and a little with the guitars. I rode the master fader for some slight dynamic changes between the verses, instrument breaks and Chorus's with a bump on the ending to push it a little harder. My bass and kick are slightly darker than the reference mix, either from a lack of skill or different tools used to get the job done.

This was mixed in Studio One pro with the console shaper active. I used mostly stock plugins with a few from Waves API collection for color. Along with FXpansion"s Free SSl style buss compressor just kissing the needle. I also used HoRNet"s gain stage plugin which is a must have plugin for $5.00. It will auto adjust the gain on each track to -18DB.
I was very conservative with the compression in the mix. The majority of the compression you hear was from the mastering. I'm not really set up for mastering so if this mix falls apart it would be in my mastering skills.

Any Feedback is welcome.

Cheers,

.mp3    Dark Ride-Piece of Me_Alt1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.17 MB)

.mp3    Dark Ride-Piece of Me_Not Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 12.19 MB)

That's a cool mix.

The problems: The drums sound too "roomy/boxy" for me, especially the toms and the kick. compared with the rest of the mix they really fall short and are a distraction for the listeners ears. again, the problem here is probably the room sound and you need to make some serious cuts to get rid of this boxy, ploppy tone. The snare, on the other hand, sounds really cool.

there are weird bass dropouts at the start of the bridge at 2:34, like the bass suddenly lost all the low bass information.

Cymbals are way to loud at the end of the bridge, you need to tame the china. the bell of the ride at 0:40 needs to be lowered, too - the ride should be audible here, but it shouldn't be so loud that it takes away the attention from the vocals. on the other hand, the crash at 2:00 could need some love - that little fella should be a tad louder because right now it doesnt really work as the pulse of this part. but don't make it too loud, it shouldn't sound distracting either Smile

I would love to hear the mix without mastering.

I also like that you actually "mixed" this song, even if not every track itself sounds perfect / fits perfectly into the mix. Fix the crappy kick and toms and it's a cool mix.
I would also love to hear the drum tracks with just the bass and nothing else - I would be happy if you could post that track Smile
(01-06-2017, 07:02 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: That's a cool mix.

The problems: The drums sound too "roomy/boxy" for me, especially the toms and the kick. compared with the rest of the mix they really fall short and are a distraction for the listeners ears. again, the problem here is probably the room sound and you need to make some serious cuts to get rid of this boxy, ploppy tone. The snare, on the other hand, sounds really cool.

there are weird bass dropouts at the start of the bridge at 2:34, like the bass suddenly lost all the low bass information.

Cymbals are way to loud at the end of the bridge, you need to tame the china. the bell of the ride at 0:40 needs to be lowered, too - the ride should be audible here, but it shouldn't be so loud that it takes away the attention from the vocals. on the other hand, the crash at 2:00 could need some love - that little fella should be a tad louder because right now it doesnt really work as the pulse of this part. but don't make it too loud, it shouldn't sound distracting either Smile

I would love to hear the mix without mastering.

I also like that you actually "mixed" this song, even if not every track itself sounds perfect / fits perfectly into the mix. Fix the crappy kick and toms and it's a cool mix.

Thanks for the feedback, it's what makes us better at this craft. I'm not hearing all the things you are mainly because my audio interface went down and I had to mix this through my POD X3 Live with crappy headphones So I'm not getting all the detail that I should from my mains.

I will make some of the changes you suggest and post it without mastering per your request and also give you a Drum and bass mix.

(01-06-2017, 07:04 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: I would also love to hear the drum tracks with just the bass and nothing else - I would be happy if you could post that track Smile

Ok Blitz I added a new mix taking your feedback into consideration and posted it as not mastered. I am also adding just a drum and bass track to this reply.

I adjusted the room tracks and did some more automation on the overheads based on your comments. I surprisingly got my audio interface back today after I was told it would be about 3 weeks so I can hear the things you were talking about better now, especially the boxiness. I think I have the kick corrected better, but the toms are giving fits as the samples themselves are boxy. I did some cuts in boxy fregs added a gate to take out of the of ringing and a expander, they sound better than first mix, but I'm not happy with them by a long shot

Normally I would mix some new samples in with the original instead of trying to get something to work but I have some broadcast work I have to get cracking on. Would be interested to hear how you dealt with the toms. when I have more time I want to come back to this and address those toms.

I not sure what that bass drop out you heard was, I suspect it was a audio drop out from pushing the CPU. There is a little bit of cross talk on here from my Console shaper

Cheers,

.mp3    Dark Ride-Piece of Me_Not Mastered_Drm&Bass.mp3 --  (Download: 12.19 MB)