Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Colton_Benjamin-Can't Let You Go
29-05-2017, 11:33 PM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2017 11:44 PM by vanbas.)
Colton_Benjamin-Can't Let You Go
Hi!
Big Grin

.mp3   Colton_Benjamin-Can\'t Let You Go-Mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.87 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2017, 09:56 AM
RE: Colton_Benjamin-Can't Let You Go
Hi!
Big Grin

.mp3   Colton_Benjamin-Can\'t Let You Go-Mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.87 MB)

31-05-2017, 11:01 AM
Hey Vanbas. Nice work.
Did you use a reference track for this?
If not, please listen to this song Joss Stone - Jet Lag (youtube) and listen to how the drums smack, the bass.
That track is a good (mix) inspiration for this one.

http://www.instagram.com/iamroyalbrandy
[email protected]
01-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Hi Royal Brandy!
thanks for your comments and suggestions
Big Grin

.mp3   Colton_Benjamin-Can\'t Let You Go-Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

01-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Nice job with capturing the Jet Lag vibe. While I understand this is the artist's preferred reference, I don't or cannot hear it. You made it work. Not sure I get the tom levels you've presented.
I'd like to hear what the artist says about this latest mix.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

02-06-2017, 09:25 AM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 10:39 AM by Royal Brandy.)
(01-06-2017 07:55 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  Nice job with capturing the Jet Lag vibe. While I understand this is the artist's preferred reference, I don't or cannot hear it. You made it work. Not sure I get the tom levels you've presented.

Well, there's another very important reference track: Anthony Hamilton - Back to love. And you could even check Alicia Keys - If I was your woman. These tracks are not the same, by any means, but they do belong to its' genre and appeal for its' features. So while some people wouldn't dare to have so much kick or snare in it, the references give you another perspective, context.

I've heard a lot of mixes here and some were close to what I would personally want, some were very creative with effects, some even changed the intro (or added their own arrangement). It's all for fun right? Smile

I upgraded from PT 10 to PT 12 the other day and it being 64bits I wanted to load a blank session and monitor CPU performance. So I opened this song and came across some pops and clicks in the bass (I hope people found them and crossfaded) and one in the chorus vocal. So I thought "let me see if I can get it the way I wanted it again" and I kind of did. It's really a personal preference and not scientific by any means.

One thing people should really have on their mixing to-do list is automation. If you automate stuff you can make it quiet and hit hard when the guitar licks come in. Quiet when the vocal is on, bigger in the chorus. Yesterday I did no automation because this session isn't going anywhere. But people should really consider having at least one fader. (like a presonus faderport) If you automate your LV, GTR's and KEYS you'd approach things differently.

http://www.instagram.com/iamroyalbrandy
[email protected]
02-06-2017, 08:09 PM
(02-06-2017 09:25 AM)Royal Brandy Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 07:55 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:  Nice job with capturing the Jet Lag vibe. While I understand this is the artist's preferred reference, I don't or cannot hear it. You made it work. Not sure I get the tom levels you've presented.

Well, there's another very important reference track: Anthony Hamilton - Back to love. And you could even check Alicia Keys - If I was your woman. These tracks are not the same, by any means, but they do belong to its' genre and appeal for its' features. So while some people wouldn't dare to have so much kick or snare in it, the references give you another perspective, context.

I've heard a lot of mixes here and some were close to what I would personally want, some were very creative with effects, some even changed the intro (or added their own arrangement). It's all for fun right? Smile

I upgraded from PT 10 to PT 12 the other day and it being 64bits I wanted to load a blank session and monitor CPU performance. So I opened this song and came across some pops and clicks in the bass (I hope people found them and crossfaded) and one in the chorus vocal. So I thought "let me see if I can get it the way I wanted it again" and I kind of did. It's really a personal preference and not scientific by any means.

One thing people should really have on their mixing to-do list is automation. If you automate stuff you can make it quiet and hit hard when the guitar licks come in. Quiet when the vocal is on, bigger in the chorus. Yesterday I did no automation because this session isn't going anywhere. But people should really consider having at least one fader. (like a presonus faderport) If you automate your LV, GTR's and KEYS you'd approach things differently.

Thanks for the reply.

PreSonus Studio One DAW
on RDS Server with Dante Via (ask for details)
[email protected]

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: