Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Hammer Down AbsoluteBeginner Mix
Hello guys,
Greetings from Indonesia.
I'm new to this site.
I really love this song. The vocalist reminds me of Jon Bon Jovi.
I'm still learning how to mix correctly.
Any feedback would be appreciated. Smile

.mp3    Hammer Down Final Mix AbsoluteBeginner.mp3 --  (Download: 11.54 MB)

Hey not bad for absolute beginner!

I can only reference on my headphones right now, but I can still hear things that my help you. First thing, I think you are are using to much of the Fx snare. It's pushing the snare a bit far back. The guitars sound huge, but too huge makes the bottom end a bit muddy. I would try a little bit of high pass to give the bass some space so you can turn it down a bit and it's not fighting with the low end of the guitar. The overheads could use a bit of a boost along with some automation. I would keep the 1st verse guitars a little closer. Try listening in mono when making panning decisions.

There is a chirp from the guitar pick at the end of the solo just before the last Chorus that you should tone down with some automation. (it will probably sound more like a metronome to you)

I went to school for production and I will tell you that your work even with some of the flaws is better than what I heard from some people that I graduated with. I want to encourage to keep at it, Read Mike's books and any other stuff you can get your hands on.

Cheers,

I've completed the book
I will revisit the mix soon
Thank you so much for the feedback and the kind words
Cool Mix. Still needs some work but the balance is nice and everything sits in the right place. Snare needs to be punchier, and the kick doesn't need so much highend. I´m missing some lowend, especially on the kick.

Good work,
Dirk