Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Own Way To Boogie" - John's way too
Hi All,

I downloaded and started mixing this song before I knew about Mike's live-to-video mixing series. Since I was already 90% done, I decided to finished up and post it before I go see how badly I missed the mark.

I'm pretty happy with the music. It sounds how I wanted it to sound in my head. That doesn't mean I didn't miss something, just at this point I'm not hearing any problems. Please let me know what could have been done better.

The vocals... I'm just underwhelmed with where I've ended up. They don't "pop". They just don't give me that "hey, that's nice" kind of feel. So if you have any thoughts on how to perk up vocals in general, and these in specific, please help.

And of course, I am grateful for all comments and critiques.
Thanks for your time.
~john~

.mp3    OwnWayToBoogie_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.84 MB)

Very enjoyable mix John.
I haven't had a chance to see Mike's video series either. I'm hangin' out for this. It'll be interesting for sure.
With headphones on I like the overall sound, arrangement and energy. A nice, natural and balanced mix. As you say, the main vox is lacking a little, perhaps with some extra weight and forwardness not to mention some extra volume 1-2 dB perhaps may do the trick. It's a little hard for me to judge with the cans on as they are a little hollow centre stage. The only thing I can suggest is some freq selective parallel compression just to add some body and maybe a small amount of small tiled room, in your face "mono" reverb. This will help bring her forward. While you are at it, you could also experiment with a tiny bit of stereo widening one way or another to help create that "aura" and dimensional space. Must be careful not to over do it though.

A great mix John, I'm sure you'll work it out.Big Grin

Hope this helps.
Dave