Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodfire: Outer - first mix on new speakers!
So I recently got myself a nice pair of JBL LSR305 speakers for my home studio and this is the first mix I have done on them. I mixed in reaper, and my approach was fairly minimal. Just some soubtle EQing here and there, some slight reverb on the snare, and a bit of automation. Let me know what you think! Thanks.

.mp3    woodfire outer mix 4.mp3 --  (Download: 5.27 MB)

Everything sounds pretty good. I think it could be more dynamic though. I feel like the one quality this song has its dynamics. The vocals are a bit loud and take away from the power of the band and arrangement. They sound good but could come back into the mix. Hope that helps.
I Like your mix ,
I agree with Roy as sounds a touch compressed .
Maybe have look at rolling off some the low frequencies of the electrics as could be clashing with the bass a touch.

Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(25-05-2017, 07:01 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Everything sounds pretty good. I think it could be more dynamic though. I feel like the one quality this song has its dynamics. The vocals are a bit loud and take away from the power of the band and arrangement. They sound good but could come back into the mix. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the commments, definatly agree about the vocals! They do seem a little loud.
(26-05-2017, 08:54 AM)thedon Wrote: I Like your mix ,
I agree with Roy as sounds a touch compressed .
Maybe have look at rolling off some the low frequencies of the electrics as could be clashing with the bass a touch.

Cheers Big Grin

Thanks for the comment! Im gonna take all this on board and do a slightly tweaked mix and see how it works out.
I think your minimalist approach is the way to go as this song is a pretty challenging mix - i think in many respects because of the single guitar for most of the song.

I really like your bass sound and kick and i think that they are well balanced with each other nicely so you have a really good low end foundation. I like your vocals too for the most part but i think that they could do with being a bit more upfront, especially in the breakdown - not necessarily louder but maybe some (more) beef through parallel/in-line compression.

Where I think your mix can be improved is for you to be more confident with the guitars, both in panning and balance. With the main guitar line sounding as if its panned front and centre, your mix sounds a bit mono. There are plenty of elements to balance your guitar if you choose to pan it wider e.g. OHs and Toms plus some fx thrown in the opposite direction. Have a listen to Andrew Scheps mixing Red Hot Chili Peppers....lots of mixes with a single guitar out wide but balanced with non-guitars to fill out the space.

in terms of levels, EG2 is barely audible and i think the OHs could do with a boost too, especially in closing vamp....and occasionally the snare is a bit too prominent.

Overall, a clean mix with a solid foundation with scope for improvement if you fancy re-visiting.

Cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
(05-06-2017, 02:33 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: I think your minimalist approach is the way to go as this song is a pretty challenging mix - i think in many respects because of the single guitar for most of the song.

I really like your bass sound and kick and i think that they are well balanced with each other nicely so you have a really good low end foundation. I like your vocals too for the most part but i think that they could do with being a bit more upfront, especially in the breakdown - not necessarily louder but maybe some (more) beef through parallel/in-line compression.

Where I think your mix can be improved is for you to be more confident with the guitars, both in panning and balance. With the main guitar line sounding as if its panned front and centre, your mix sounds a bit mono. There are plenty of elements to balance your guitar if you choose to pan it wider e.g. OHs and Toms plus some fx thrown in the opposite direction. Have a listen to Andrew Scheps mixing Red Hot Chili Peppers....lots of mixes with a single guitar out wide but balanced with non-guitars to fill out the space.

in terms of levels, EG2 is barely audible and i think the OHs could do with a boost too, especially in closing vamp....and occasionally the snare is a bit too prominent.

Overall, a clean mix with a solid foundation with scope for improvement if you fancy re-visiting.

Cheers, Simon

Thanks very much for this detailed response, I am currently working on a second mix of this song and will definatly take what you have said on board.