Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm Alright RJMIX
Hi!

Cool and well-recorded track!
The hihat bleed in the snare track was something I felt needed little tackling, so I used a multiband comp on the snare and I added a touch of an extra snare sample.

Happy to receive feedback!

RJR

.mp3    I\'m Alright RJMIX2.mp3 --  (Download: 4.05 MB)

.mp3    AngelsInAmplifiers_ImAlright_RJRMIX4.mp3 --  (Download: 6.76 MB)

Great sounding mix ! Good job !
Thanks!

RJ

Great sounding mix ! Good job !
[/quote]

In no particular order of things I noticed:

- Kick is barely audible in the upper freq domain meaning it is considerably harder to hear on smaller speakers.

- What sounds like excess reverb on the snare or more than likely excess ringing in the snare itself. Kind of reminds of the 80s gunshot to a degree.

- Vocals are far too bright for my tastes. Would be quite exacerbated on smaller speakers.

- Additional percussion is lacking definition in lower harmonics or at least immediate definition.

- Bass is a little bit one notey.

- The backing vocals are not really doing anything notable they sound like there restricted to mono.

- The piano is also barely audible.

Overall not a bad mix. Has decent tonal balance definitely going for a brighter mix though. Definitely sounds like the lower mids could have been worked for more clarity in the mix rather than trying to resort to the upper mid range entirely.
Hi!

Thanks for your feedback.
I made a second mix regarding the points below:

I think I can align with your brightness point, I backed-off the high's in the master EQ a bit!

I also agree the bass guitar could have a bit more definition. I dialled back a bit of the mid-lows in the bass guitar, It think it cuts through better now.

Regarding the piano, In my vision the rhythm acoustic guitar and electric guitar contributed more to the groove of the songs than the piano, so I made some concessions there.

Cheers!

RJ

(03-07-2013, 04:29 PM)APZX Wrote: In no particular order of things I noticed:

- Kick is barely audible in the upper freq domain meaning it is considerably harder to hear on smaller speakers.

- What sounds like excess reverb on the snare or more than likely excess ringing in the snare itself. Kind of reminds of the 80s gunshot to a degree.

- Vocals are far too bright for my tastes. Would be quite exacerbated on smaller speakers.

- Additional percussion is lacking definition in lower harmonics or at least immediate definition.

- The backing vocals are not really doing anything notable they sound like there restricted to mono.

Overall not a bad mix. Has decent tonal balance definitely going for a brighter mix though. Definitely sounds like the lower mids could have been worked for more clarity in the mix rather than trying to resort to the upper mid range entirely.

(03-07-2013, 04:29 PM)APZX Wrote: In no particular order of things I noticed:

very good feedback that
Hi, after 11 years I mixed this one from scratch (V4) Smile

Cheers!