Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedaling Prince Mix: Perpetual Escape - Duty & Memories
I haven't been around regularly (trying to pull myself out of a depression here Sad) but I loved the sound I was getting out of this song so much I felt I had to share...

Despite the advice given by Perpetual Escape's drummer in earlier postings by this band that you don't have to use all the guitar tracks, I tend to do so because I find combining them gives me a nice, heavy guitar sound I really like for these songs. I also appreciate the dynamics, heavy parts and quieter ones, making the music more expressive.

I've done all three of the tracks they've submitted so far and they all came out great, but this one is my favorite so far for the quality of the mix I was able to achieve.

As far as the songs go, "Sin Six" has been my favorite up to this point. If people like my mix of "Duty & Memories" here I'll consider uploading "Sin Six" and "Roots of Mankind" as well. Smile

I just took a quick listen to the other mixes of this song and I'm surprised I'm the only one that applied a distortion effect to the bass; I felt it needed that. I added a nice tube saturation distortion to it to thicken it up.

.m4a    Duty & Memories - 2017-05-06, 9.46 PM.m4a --  (Download: 13.36 MB)

John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince
It's pretty good. It feels a little dark to me but I think my mix is too bright so I'm not sure. You might be able to cut some lower mids on some elements like the toms. And maybe the guitars. That would open up some room for the drums to pound through some more.

Hope that helps.
Cool mix PP. I like the overall energy and drive, not to forget the guitar tones which I also like. I think the distortion on the bass works well although, the bass is a little lost in the intro solo part @ 0:29 onwards, automation of sorts I guess is the fix. I also think the bass part in general could do with some extra weight in that sub 100hz area. The only other thing I would like to hear is some extra drum overheads for some extra drum forwardness. These are taste things I know.

Well Done.Big Grin

Keep your head up PP and good luck moving forward.
Hey !

This one is not easy. Verses and choruses are totally different and tell different points of view : atrocities and horror of the world war II in the verses and hope, duty and memories in the choruses. This duality should be felt with ambiant verses and explosive and powerful choruses.

Based on that, I think your verses are too similar to your choruses. Try using different reverbs for example or play with automation to bring life in the choruses.

Overall, you have some masking between the kick and bass and too much 100-200 Hz in general. Make sure you reference against pro mastered song (we like some Creed or Alterbridge for overall feeling) to make sure your EQ moves are done in the right way. Unless you have a calibrated room with awesome speakers, it's impossible not to reference.

Keep it up !