Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRIT THIS MIX BOYS (Actions - South of the Water)
I think it sounds pretty good personally. Did this mix in about four hours total. Spent three hours on the instrumental last night and about an hour on the vocals this morning, listened through the whole thing and it sounded like a song so I bounced it! Gotta commit! Let me know what sounds bad about it (aside from the tracking, which is pretty bad).

I think I tend to mix drums too hot and I actively tried to counter that here. Didn't do much automation, which I would do for a paid project for sure. I did automate more gain into the clipper on the snare during the big bridge section, and brought the overheads up there too. It adds impact and emotion to that part which I feel is the biggest part of the song.

Also I wanted to use something different on the vocals other than my go-to dynamics controls (i.e. compressors) so I sifted through what i had and found Waves MV2 and OH MY GOD IT'S SO GOOD. I love how up front it makes the vocals. Which really, all it's doing to make them seem up front is just completely slaughtering the dynamic range. I had the low on +24 and the high on -24. There was definitely some overlap there which was basically limiting them, then I ran L1 after that. I liked that chain for this and wanted to share. Can't wait to try that on more vocals!

Okay, better stop rambling.

.mp3    south of the water new mix.mp3 --  (Download: 6.78 MB)

in my opinion it sounds mega overcompressed.
it could be a good mix without this "pumping" effect of the compressor.
maybe a deesser for the vocals wouldn´t be a bad idea