Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodfire - Outer post-punk inspired mix
I uploaded two files, one "unmastered" and one "mastered", with compression applied on the master bus.

I tried to make it sound very visceral, if far from lo-fi. I had a lot of fun mixing the guitars and bass, attempting to get a Peter Hook-ish sound with the chorus effects. I also had some fun with the double-tracked vocal, attempting to make it sound somewhat like gang vocals and trying out different delay/reverb/distortion effects. (Luxonix's LFX-1310 was my friend while mixing this, as were FabFilter's Micro and Kazrog's K-Clip).

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

.mp3    Woodfire unm.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

.mp3    Woodfire m.mp3 --  (Download: 8.72 MB)

Well balanced sound - nice work on the bass, getting it to have a peter hook vibe was inspired. The guitars could be a little clearer though. Overall an interesting take on an interesting song.
I just checked out the mastered version. I like the overall sound of everything. I agree with braddersthemod that the guitars could be clearer. Especially the accent guitars. Bringing them out more would really help the dynamics.
The guitar and second vocal (or maybe it's just the vocal effect) both sound panned to the right and I think obscure each other.
I like the bass sounds but it could probably come back into the mix and maybe a little more drums.