Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
Can't Let You Go-Roy version
28-05-2017, 11:02 AM
RE: Can't Let You Go-Roy version
Hi Roy 2nd mix for me it has more attitude, well done.
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2017, 11:03 PM
[
[/quote]

I was like wow! when I heard the Rhodes. So I like that.

I think this entire mix is crunchy/crispy.

The guitars are too saturated along with most everything. I think this one got away from you.

The vocals are compressed to all hell and the initial transient is cut off.

Ditch the exciter because it does nothing good for this mix.

We need to start a fund to get you monitors or decent headphones. (being playful not mean, because your mixes are better than most.)

I believe these session files were already mixed for the most part and the vocals were tracked with compression to begin with, so any more compression is superfluous. Good luck.

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Visit this user's website
03-06-2017, 06:05 PM
I like superfluous compression! But maybe you're right. Meh. I tried some things that didn't work. I feel like that's more of the point of this forum, at least to me, than just trying to nail a perfect mix. Better to try something here than on a paying session.

That said I'm adding a new mix to the first post because I was bored on a Saturday morning. It probably still has most of the issues the other mix had but, oh well. It was still good practice.

Cheers.

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
31-07-2018, 12:12 PM
Sorry for being so fashionable late to the party. Actually, I think MxE1 is miles ahead of the other two. Don't have much of this soft soul in my discotheque to compare with (90's or any kind), but this is pro stuff in my book (actually, it probably sounds too good to be considered pro, you know what I mean). I understand there's some kind of edition over the groove, like some ghost rim shots ahead of the rhythm? That was neat. Also, kick and bass gel really well, I'm bouncing my head as I'm writing.

The "I Can't Let Go"s backing vocals on the choruses could have some more meat and there might be too much fx candy on the verses (it's not noticeable on the choruses given the fuller arrangement), but I can't think of anything else within reason to point at.
01-08-2018, 02:07 AM
Cool. Thanks for the comments, Deliza. It has been a while since I've even listened to this mix. I need to check it out and get mixing again some time soon.

Cheers

I only have earbuds to listen and mix with at the moment. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.
09-03-2019, 01:22 AM
3/8/19 Added new mix (RMMix01F)

09-03-2019, 06:55 AM
Slick mix, like many above the rhodes is a little hot for my taste. The lead guitar panned right that plays the fills could go down a hair (version1)

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: