Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perpetual Escape - Duty & Memories kapu mix
Great rock song! For some reason it reminded me of the song Nobody's Wife by Anouk. ^_^

.m4a    perpetual_escape_-_duty___memories_kapu_mix.m4a --  (Download: 13.41 MB)

Definitely a pretty aggressive mix. The kick might be a little loud but I'm not sure. The guitars are a little midrangy. I like the sound but they feel too restrained. They could be a little bigger on the low end. Maybe parallel this sound with the original guitars?
The synths kind of masks the vocals. I think overall the vocals could come up a bit to compete with the punch of the rest of the band.

Overall I really like the separation and punch that everything has. I think it could benefit from a little looseness and sloppiness.
Hope that helps. Good job.
(07-05-2017, 01:56 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: Definitely a pretty aggressive mix. [...]

Thanks! I kind of lost interest with the vocal tracks and just dialed in something. For once I thought I managed to get a decent more-middly-rock-instead-of-scooped-heavy-type of guitars without them being too boxy. I'll have to check them but I'm quite happy with them. The drums could come down a bit. ^_^
I think a lot of us lose interest in the vocals on these PE songs. We put so much effort into the rest of the track we just kind of set and forget the vocals. And I think the vocals in the song usually don't need much anyway but I know I should devote more time to them.
(07-05-2017, 02:37 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I think a lot of us lose interest in the vocals [...]

Heh, that was supposed to be a diplomatic way to express my frustration with the weirdness in the source tracks. It sounds like a combination of two mics with the singer moving around, or comb filtering from a reflecting surface near the microphone. But anyway I tried to make the most of what is available, as that is usually the difference between hired and 'great' sound engineer. ^_^
I like the guitar sound wondering what fx your using on them? I go for a more dryer guitar sound but interested to see what your using cause it sounds good. The synth parts could come down a tad and the vocals could be raised. Other than that solid mix..good job!
(08-05-2017, 05:02 AM)sagalegin Wrote: I like the guitar sound [...]

Thanks! Guitar sound is just basically just eq. There is also a very subtle and slow multiband compressor on the guitar bus to watch for too jumpy lows, and a fallback limiter which isn't apparently doing anything during most of the song. Used mics 1 and 2 per guitar and panned guitars LR. There's also some guitar ambience mics which are panned opposite of their corresponding close mics. ^_^
Like your mix Kapu, nice ,solid and glued together as usual, the panned electric in the chorus sounds a touch upfront and the synth in the verse over powering the vocals a touch also.
Just a couple of minor mainly taste things.

Well Done Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(08-05-2017, 07:41 AM)thedon Wrote: Like your mix [...]

Thanks! Did some slight adjustments updated the mix. Still, the guitars are quite in-your-face. ^_^
Hey Kapu !

Man that sound is biiiiiig :p Maybe just a little bit too much actually. Nothing a mastering process can't solve but you should reference your low lows to make sure there aren't too much of them.

I love the distortion on the loops Smile

The guitars on the verses sound very special. Can you post an example of them alone here ? Just to better hear what you've done with them Smile They sound very creative and that's a cool thing !

Cool approach of this song ! Well done bro !