Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hammer Down - mix try by Astrovader
Hello,
i find that this song is very awesom and i decided to mix it too.
I read the post of Blitzzz and it was very helpfull and i tried to make it with his criteria. I hope i made it like you expected it and if not, i would like it if you tell me your opinons and tips. BlushSmile

Have fun and make more music Tongue

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 2:
- Bass and Background Vocals are quieter now
- Tried to fix the Snare and push the Drum volume

.mp3    Hammer Down.mp3 --  (Download: 6.88 MB)

.mp3    Hammer Down v2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.88 MB)

Thanks for feedback!

I'd bring out the drums a bit and take down the bass, but this is personal opinion. There seems to be a lot going on around 5kHz, so perhaps some cleaning there or LPF the main guitars below that.

The mix is already very good, and you don't necessarily have to 'fix' a thing. ^_^
Thank you kapu for your feedback Smile Yeah i tend to bring the bass up to much because i'm a bassplayer Wink and thx for the guitar tip, i had a 1 db boost on the mix bus at 5k to push up the guitars a bit, but i think that was to much ^^
Hey astrovader (that's a cool name!),

thank you for mixing our song!

Bass is too loud in the 1st and 2nd verse and almost rivals the vocals when it comes down to listener attention. The snare has some kind of high end fizziness/distortion too it that I don't really like and lacks the punch it needs. I think all the shells should be louder. The Background vocals are too loud throughout the whole song - their quality is just not good enough to be in the spotlight. We only recorded them to give the main vocals more beef, but they shouldn't be used as a "hey, listen to me, I´m interesting"-spotlight for the listener. Rule of thumb: as soon as you can clearly hear them, they are too loud.

I like that the verses sound quieter compared with the chorus. You are also one of the few guys who got the solo right (I can hear the hihat, the doublebass isn't killing the balance and sits nicely within the mix) and you also made the main guitar melody at the last part of the solo loud enough to get some back & forth thing going on with the solo guitar.

So it's mostly small stuff that could/should be fixed very easily. Hope that helps - have a great day and keep up the good work
Dirk
Thx Blitzz for your assessment, i'll try to fix this little problems and upload a updated version and thx for the backgroundvocal tip Smile