Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
LOVED THIS SONG! And this is my mix
(28-04-2017, 08:40 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: Listened to v4: the cymbals are not loud enough, I don't hear all the small details Dirk is playing on the crashes, splashes, ride and on the hihat. The hihat is almost nonexistent, and this is extremely obvious in the first part of the solo where you can only hear kick & snare. I mentioned this in my FAQ:

- The fist part of the guitar solo feels kinda empty if the hihat isn't loud enough. The hihat can add an interesting rhythmic pattern to the guitar solo, and you should use this to your advantage, creating another source of excitement for the listener.
- Try to bring out all the small details from the drums - there are lots of them

I would suggest you start an automation pass for the cymbals and for the hihat and bring them back into the mix.

Thanks Blitz! That´s a good input. If you listen on previous mixes Hihat was louder, and that bothered me a lot so I pull it back a LOT. Never thought to make automation on that and cymbals, that´s a great idea.

[/quote]

Bringing out the snare ambience and parallel compressing the drum bus will help to bring out the 'mess' and details. I'd ditch the limiters and just use pure clipping instead. ^_^
[/quote]

Kapu, I only put the limiter at -0.3, and used fabfilter pro L to squash the mix. Any clip vst you may recommend? pro L is what I like the most so far.

Thanks both of you for your comments!!!
(28-04-2017, 02:10 PM)matiasgodoy399 Wrote: Any clip vst you may recommend? pro L is what I like the most so far.

StandardCLIP, GClip, Event Horizon, Logic Pro X's compressor has also good clipping modes. And many 'advanced' compressor plugins have a separate soft/hard/clip stage. Just avoid complex multiband saturators like FF Saturn etc, until you really get familiar with the effect.

Basically pure clipping means clipping the signal at threshold. Hard clipping usually means a bit softer, and the clipping 'starts' with a curve around 3 dBs below the threshold. Soft clipping usually starts 6-12 dBs before threshold. Some plugins have adjustable clipping curve.

I'd recommend clipping your auxes, groups, busses (or what ever they're called in your daw) before applying any processing on the main mix, master or what ever.

For me the rule usually is: pure clipping for rhythmic and percussive elements, the best suitable clipping (usuallu soft) for everything else. In DAW this means I have pure clipping in individual drum and/or drums busses. I aim for as much clipping as possible without making the sound significantly worse or clearly distorted.

I tend to process the dynamics of rhythmic and percussive material with higher ratios (4 or 8) and slower attacks and faster releases to really exaggerate the initial transients, and then drive them against the clipping stage as much as possible. And basically the opposite for other stuff: lower ratios, faster attacks, slower releases against soft clipping.

And after some initial tweaking with these type of plugin chains I insert a pre-EQ before all other plugins, and do the EQ stuff. ^_^

About the amount of clipping: for me it's just a tool to cut away excess headroom and iron things more even. For my ears it was quite suprising how much I could apply pure clipping before I started honestly noticing any audible effects. Take a high quality peak normalized snare sample and start driving it against pure clipping. For me (depending on the initial sound) I can usually clip around 3 to 6 dBs before I can honestly say 'too much'. I recommend a lot of experimenting. ^_^
Thanks a LOT Kapu. Yes I have tried clipping on the 2bus but honestly pro L suited me most. Yet I only tried on that bus, not on individual channels or instrument buses, currently on all the others I put an L1 at the end. I will experiment with clipping, sounds like a probably better outcome! or at least different and a good try!