Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
LOVED THIS SONG! And this is my mix
First of all, WOW This song blew my mind. Great band, great production. I am really thankfull for having the oportunity to mix a track like this, I learn A LOT every time.

Second. Took me almost 2 days, being at least 16 hs, but I loved that.

And third, I know there will be a couple mistakes on this master but it is the first mix that I listen really proud! So yay me Haha. I´m very pleased with the result, yet I still want to get better so PLEASE enlight me with your knowledge, point me where do you think there may be a problem, not matter how small, I will really appreciate, and again thank you!

-------------

Some ideas that cross my mind now:

Some automation on mix bus limiter?
Lacks of some delay on some parts?
Does the synthesizer get too much boring?

-------------

I tried a version 3, backed off hi hat, chorus synth, and took off a small 3.1kH on guitars. Raised snare, drum room, and vocals, and also mixbus low end, and tried an L3UM instead of L1 + UM at the end. Let me know what you think

-------------

And version 4 just backing off the limiter 1db

Which one you prefer? (I think It´s more noticeable on choruses, on vocals presence)

.mp3    HAMMER DOWN v2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.49 MB)

.mp3    HAMMER DOWN v4.mp3 --  (Download: 11.49 MB)

.mp3    HAMMER DOWN v3.mp3 --  (Download: 11.49 MB)

Another doubt, does it lack of low end? I was referencing with Kamelot´s tracks I was trying to imitate, regarding the softer, closer vocals.
Glad you liked the song, but do please be careful with the swearing so that schools and colleges don't filter out this site for their students. Thanks! Smile
Hahahahaha sorry. Excuse my effusiveness Mike! I tend to go out of place, as you see... Thanks again!
Hey Matias!

From what I hear, the mix appears to be quite loud and distorted. My level meters show a constant clipping. You probably got a big mix bus compression going on. If you turn that down, your mix will be a little easier to judge. Wink
Thanks for the input Philament! I will render and upload a "2busless" mix soon then
Thanks for feedback. Listened v2.

I think the overall level are just fine, and around the same level as most of the commercial records in the genre. Some random samples are clipped according to ISP metering, probably due to the MP3 encoding. But this implies your uncompressed output would be most likely clean, and you shouldn't worry about this.

The kick and (maybe) guitars are quite strong in the 2-3kHz area, but nothing serious. Just makes a bit nasty when listening at beer level. The mix feel very solid and finished, and it has the 'punch and clarity'. The drums could use a bit more ambience or room type reverb to make the overall experience slightly bigger, but this is a just a personal preference. Great work!
Great, thank you very much kapu! Yes, that´s what I´ve thought, because anything was clipping in my DAW or meter. I´ll check the frequency area you say and definitely try to "room up" the drums. Any specific idea on that? a increase room level, or apply another longer reverb on the drum bus? I´m making a second mix just for the sake of learning.
Listened to v4: the cymbals are not loud enough, I don't hear all the small details Dirk is playing on the crashes, splashes, ride and on the hihat. The hihat is almost nonexistent, and this is extremely obvious in the first part of the solo where you can only hear kick & snare. I mentioned this in my FAQ:

- The fist part of the guitar solo feels kinda empty if the hihat isn't loud enough. The hihat can add an interesting rhythmic pattern to the guitar solo, and you should use this to your advantage, creating another source of excitement for the listener.
- Try to bring out all the small details from the drums - there are lots of them

I would suggest you start an automation pass for the cymbals and for the hihat and bring them back into the mix.
(28-04-2017, 12:05 AM)matiasgodoy399 Wrote: ... sake of learning.

Bringing out the snare ambience and parallel compressing the drum bus will help to bring out the 'mess' and details. I'd ditch the limiters and just use pure clipping instead. ^_^