Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smooth - I'm Alright (Commercial Style)
Hey folks, since this is such a good track to experiment with different sounds, I thought I'd mix it again - I've done this one before, but with a much more natural, live sound on a G+

This is just my laptop mix, but I'm pushing things a lot hotter than I normally would to try and get that more "commercial ready" sound. Did I get it? Let me know the comments below.

.mp3    I\'m alright Mix2017 Hot.mp3 --  (Download: 6.84 MB)

BA(Hons) Audio Production at SAE London
(23-04-2017, 02:52 PM)Professor Smooth Wrote: Hey folks, since this is such a good track to experiment with different sounds, I thought I'd mix it again - I've done this one before, but with a much more natural, live sound on a G+

This is just my laptop mix, but I'm pushing things a lot hotter than I normally would to try and get that more "commercial ready" sound. Did I get it? Let me know the comments below.

Hello Mr smooth, im one of those guys who are commersial and boring maybe, I think this is a very good balance mix wise but i want a little more tamed harshness with maybe some distortion or so, but hey its a good mix so thats just the only thing i was thinking about.
Good mix, and good EQ - But, I hear the compressor bouncing all over the place, reacting to different elements (kick, bass, snare, etc). Rather than using one heavy compressor, I would recommend using some light compression first, then go into some heavier compression. Allow the first one to just grab the overly loud parts, and the second one to level out the entire mix.
(10-10-2017, 09:17 PM)Rootwitch Wrote: Good mix, and good EQ - But, I hear the compressor bouncing all over the place, reacting to different elements (kick, bass, snare, etc). Rather than using one heavy compressor, I would recommend using some light compression first, then go into some heavier compression. Allow the first one to just grab the overly loud parts, and the second one to level out the entire mix.

This is a really good tip - I call this graduated compression, and it’s fantastic for certain instances. Would you like to show an example to compare yours and mine for students reading this thread to see how you use graduated compression to tidy up my mix?
These tracks don't really need any compression maybe a db on the master bus
(23-12-2017, 07:38 AM)takka360 Wrote: These tracks don't really need any compression maybe a db on the master bus

You're right, if I were mixing how I would normally mix, I would only use only the slightest additional compression - if any. But this was an experiment to "push things"! Smile