Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
different perspectives
25-07-2012, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2012 08:07 PM by Kaivalya.)
different perspectives
Hi

I am posting two mixes here. Can't decide what works. The wet mix is comparatively more compressed and has more reverb. I automated the resonance at 145 hz to use it to my advantage. 6:1 compression ratio...fast attack...medium fast release. Don't know whether it works or not .the dry mix is less compressed and relatively dry. slow attack...medium release..

[Edit: Removed the questions about preview mix -- see here instead.]

.mp3   dust_and_me_nitin_mix_dry.mp3 --  (Download: 5.38 MB)

.mp3   dust and me_nitin_mix_wet.mp3 --  (Download: 5.39 MB)

Quote this message in a reply
23-08-2012, 10:11 PM
RE: different perspectives
Overall you've done a good job here, I think, in terms of bringing out the detail in the part, although I wonder whether you could still process a little more assertively on some trouble-shooting issues: for example, the string rattle at 0:29; the strident open top strong at 1:43-1:56 (and elsewhere); the fret noise at 2:02 (and elsewhere); and the sound-hole resonance at 98Hz-ish which dominates at several moments. Beyond that I wonder if the 300-500Hz region is a bit bloated, and whether you could give the whole sound a bit more air in the top octave, although that's as much a question of personal preference as anything.

I'm not sure I like the effects you've used in this version -- they feel as if they're clouding the texture a bit much, almost like they're too LF-rich and dense in the tail. In particular, this compounds the sound-hole boom, but also muddles the detail in sections like 1:27-1:47.

Not sure whether that helps, but I hope it does! Smile

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio | Recording Secrets for the Small Studio
24-08-2012, 06:29 AM
RE: different perspectives
Hi

ty for the feedback. Helps a lot. I mixed this track before I could have a look at your project file. I tried everything i could to make it sound as good as the reference. I will incorporate all your suggestions in the rest of the mixes by the same artist. The boom is a result of trying to give the guitar a round feel. Hence the lf rich effects. However now i know that a single instrument track like this needs more moment to moment automation and work(looking into your mix rescue track of blue lit moon). Also the lack of a few tools such as SPL transient designer which Ill be looking into shortly. Ty again for the feedback. Hopefully the next two tracks would reflect some improvement.

best
nitin

Access my tutorial videos!
Advertisement: