Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
different perspectives
Hi

I am posting two mixes here. Can't decide what works. The wet mix is comparatively more compressed and has more reverb. I automated the resonance at 145 hz to use it to my advantage. 6:1 compression ratio...fast attack...medium fast release. Don't know whether it works or not .the dry mix is less compressed and relatively dry. slow attack...medium release..

[Edit: Removed the questions about preview mix -- see here instead.]

.mp3    dust_and_me_nitin_mix_dry.mp3 --  (Download: 5.38 MB)

.mp3    dust and me_nitin_mix_wet.mp3 --  (Download: 5.39 MB)

Overall you've done a good job here, I think, in terms of bringing out the detail in the part, although I wonder whether you could still process a little more assertively on some trouble-shooting issues: for example, the string rattle at 0:29; the strident open top strong at 1:43-1:56 (and elsewhere); the fret noise at 2:02 (and elsewhere); and the sound-hole resonance at 98Hz-ish which dominates at several moments. Beyond that I wonder if the 300-500Hz region is a bit bloated, and whether you could give the whole sound a bit more air in the top octave, although that's as much a question of personal preference as anything.

I'm not sure I like the effects you've used in this version -- they feel as if they're clouding the texture a bit much, almost like they're too LF-rich and dense in the tail. In particular, this compounds the sound-hole boom, but also muddles the detail in sections like 1:27-1:47.

Not sure whether that helps, but I hope it does! Smile
Hi

ty for the feedback. Helps a lot. I mixed this track before I could have a look at your project file. I tried everything i could to make it sound as good as the reference. I will incorporate all your suggestions in the rest of the mixes by the same artist. The boom is a result of trying to give the guitar a round feel. Hence the lf rich effects. However now i know that a single instrument track like this needs more moment to moment automation and work(looking into your mix rescue track of blue lit moon). Also the lack of a few tools such as SPL transient designer which Ill be looking into shortly. Ty again for the feedback. Hopefully the next two tracks would reflect some improvement.

best
nitin