Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dark Ride - Piece Of Me
Hi!
Big Grin

.mp3    Dark_Ride-Piece_Of_Me.mp3 --  (Download: 12.14 MB)

Hi!

rev 2

Big Grin

.mp3    Dark_Ride-Piece_Of_Me-Mas2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.13 MB)

Hi!

rev3

Big Grin

.mp3    Dark_Ride-Piece_of_me-Mix3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.13 MB)

Hi!

Big Grin

.mp3    Dark_Ride-Piece_of_meMas3-1.mp3 --  (Download: 12.14 MB)

Nice job, but in my opinion there are some things you can do to make this a great mix.

The guitars are in your face the whole time and there is some masking going on with the bass and vocals. the low end of the guitar and bass are stepping over each other. The leads are not cutting through because of masking with the vocals.

First thing you need to do is carve some holes in the guitars with some subtractive eq without destroying the sound so you can get rid of some of the low/mid mudd and masking with the bass and in the 2k to 4k where the vocals are trying to punch through. I would advise also using sidechain ducking on the guitar when the vocals are up. The bass could use some sidchain ducking with the kick as well. Guitar could use a bit of 5k boost to help them cut through better after subtractive cut between 1k to 4k to make room for the vocals.

In song where everything is fighting to be huge if one element is to dominate it throws off all the other elements in the mix trying to get attention.

I would also address some more drastic automation, if you have some going on I'm not able to hear it. Not only do you need to automate the volume of the guitar up and down from the verse to pre chorus, chorus and bridge, but you need maybe try some more volume automation with you mix bus to make the mix more dynamic.

The vocals need some subtle automation as well to help smooth them out a bit more without having to use a lot of compression. I would suggest multiple compressor stage such at FET and optical on the vocals and then ride the fader to bring out the subtleties. With the FET try for 3 to 4 DB GR at most and the optical 1 to 2 DB GR at most.

I would also try doing some fader rides on the bass to help it breath a little more.

The cymbals could use some volume automation as well

There is a low end buildup around 40HZ as well as the 200 to 250 range, my ears are that good to pinpoint the muddy frequncies any closer than that. There also a 2k buildup and a 800hz to 1k harshness. I'm also hearing something in the 650 hz that is sticking out not sure what it is but you might want to sweep that area with the guitar and vocals. G
I love the bass sound and by doing some volume rides you can bring out some of the intricacies better.

Lastly you might want to try some pan automation with the guitar and bring them a little closer to center during the verses and a bit wider in the choruses and then open them wide open in the breaks and the end chorus.

There might be some things I missed, but you doing a good job and I encourage to keep it up.

I'm not trying to be overly critical, but sometimes we need a fresh set of ears to get a different perspective.

Cheers,