Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flames - JureV mix
My attempt at mixing the aforementioned song. A few things I want to point out:

- I noticed some really great snare fills (ghost notes?) right before the solo section (@2:56 mark) that everyone seemed to have just forgotten. I tried my best to make them audible. I also tried to make this whole part of the song more memorable, so I emphasized the snare hits with added reverb.
- I wanted to sink the vocals into the song more, so they blend better, and don't sit upfront as much, compared to the other mixes. Hopefully, I didn't stifle them in the process.
- I also tried to add more body to the song, compared to the official release. I felt that it was too thin. My original four mixes went way overboard with low frequencies, which forced me to re-do the whole low-end a few times. I feel I got it right (to my ears at least), but any comments are welcome.
- To prevent myself from tinkering with the song for weeks, I gave myself two days worth of time to mix the whole thing. The mix and master took approximatelly 13 - 15 hours of work all together.

All that being said, please do note the following two things: a) I've only been mixing for the past 6 - 8 months, on and off, and b) this is the first song I've ever done that I mixed vocals as well.

Any pointers are more than welcome, so hopefully, I can grow and learn as much as possible.

Cheers!

.mp3    Flames_mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 12.58 MB)

Hi JureV,

overall a very nice mix especially for the time you've been mixing.
Here are a few things I think could benefit your mix:

- Your Toms in the Intro fill sound very thin and turned down to me. In the rest of the song I think they sound good but you could try turning the volume up a bit.

- As was pointed out to my mix too, maybe try turning down the OH a little bit.

- Be careful about the amount of Reverb on your Vocals. They a a bit too much in the background, IMHO.

Best of luck to you!

Devilskater666
Hey man!

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to keep them in mind. Smile Thanks for your time! I appreciate it.