Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
initial mix from mydogboris
Comments, suggestions welcome (really). I did run it through the Slate FG-X for competitive volume. Mostly used Slate, UAD, and Logic Plugins. A few Izotope modules here and there.

Dan

.mp3    Dark Ride - Hammer Down Mix 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.72 MB)

BRUTAL! Sounds huge, really huge. yet well balanced.

Some small thoughts, I don´t feel quite right the guitars on verses, too much dull, you may tray a different approach for giving vocals their space. Other than that, there is a little, minumum harshness on vocals on choruses and maybe a little also on verses. Maybe it´s a taste thing more than anything but I would try to warm thing just a little. JUST A LITTLE, as I really like the mix in fact.

Congrats on this! you made my head bounce with the rhythm Haha
(26-04-2017, 06:21 AM)matiasgodoy399 Wrote: BRUTAL! Sounds huge, really huge. yet well balanced.

Some small thoughts, I don´t feel quite right the guitars on verses, too much dull, you may tray a different approach for giving vocals their space. Other than that, there is a little, minumum harshness on vocals on choruses and maybe a little also on verses. Maybe it´s a taste thing more than anything but I would try to warm thing just a little. JUST A LITTLE, as I really like the mix in fact.

Congrats on this! you made my head bounce with the rhythm Haha

Thank you for the thoughtful and constructive feedback. I agree with everything you suggested. Unfortunately, I had to cut my time short in mixing this song as I started working on another project. I didn't take enough time to tweak the guitars throughout or do some fine tuning in areas. Maybe I will be able to soon. Thanks again.
Hey mydogboris,

thank you for mixing our song!

My reaction after ten seconds into the mix: Where is all the low end gone? =) Where is the kick in the solo? Where is the hihat - I don't hear it? Dirk Verbeuren is playing very interesting hihat parts that are completely gone. The cymbals are very quiet. The Vocals are very loud - I like loud vocals, but this is a tad too much. The solo guitars are way too loud. Also, the cool small guitar melody from the beginning of the song that acts like some kind of ongoing theme is completely missing in the last part of the solo. That's sad because it is doing a back and forth thing with the solo guitar.

There is also a bigger problem that a lot of people here struggle with: The mix is missing dynamics across the whole song - verse, bridge, chorus all have the same energy/loudness/impact. Compare your mix with the mastered version and you hear what I mean - the excitement is gone. The bridge isn't louder and/or more exciting than the verse, and the chorus is on the same level as the bridge. The missing low end has probably a lot to do with this, but giving each section of a song the right amount of impact is a key feature of mixing. If the chorus is THE big, huge rewarding part, then the other parts have to be "smaller" so the chorus can have a big impact on the listener, right?

To sum it all up: Did you use the mastered version as a reference? Because all the small details we like and love are not present in this mix, and the balance is off most of the time. It's not like this mix is a total desaster (it is not), it just needs more attention to detail, more low end and some automation to give each section the right impact.

Hope that helps - have a great day and keep up the good work!
Dirk