Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May - Eliza Jane
"Find me here..."

Wonderful Song
It's a pretty good mix. There isn't anything to dislike. Here's what jumps out at me.

I think there could be some more low cuts going on. It's easy to not think about it in this song because there's a want for some softness and warmth. I do think that the acoustic's low end gets in the way of the bass and body of the vocal and some room can be created for them.

I'm not a fan of the panning of the vocal. Personally, I'm a pretty strict L-C-R guy so it's weird to my ear. But that's just me so I can accept that.
As a listener though it tends to change the character of the speaker. It's a personal lyric and it feels like it wants to keep the focus on the actor on stage. It creates a mental conflict and I kinda think there's two people competing for Eliza. Though in the end I'm not even fan of the BGV as a support for the main vocal. Lyrically the song puts me in a place and the bgv adds some other character that I don't need to think about. But I get it's what the mixer has to deal with. I deal with it as a support of the main vocal. The pan creates a conflict to me. I know I'm over thinking it but it's my reaction.

I'm losing the kick and low mid elements like the organ in the mix. I'd want them to support the center of the image and anchor it down.

Overall it feels pretty good. Nothing jumps out as wrong to me but I, personally, want the focus on the vocal and story. I want that center point that everything else acts as the foundation to it.

Does that help? Hopefully. I know I'm kind of ambiguous and terrible at explaining myself. Maybe someone else will come along and explain it better.