Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
James May - Eliza Jane [Damian Oakes Mix]
Went for a dryer, more naturalistic sound.

.mp3    James May - Eliza Jane.mp3 --  (Download: 11.78 MB)

Excellent version. I love it.

Only thing that I might try is just a bit more early reflections to vox. It might remain close and intimate but still have a little bigger space bubble around the vox. Technically it could be just short single tape echo. (And after testing it I might prefer not to use it)

I’m glad you didn’t go for loudness war. (Without any good reason I tend to go to too loud versions nowadays. )
(09-04-2017, 10:35 AM)Olli H Wrote: Excellent version. I love it.

Only thing that I might try is just a bit more early reflections to vox. It might remain close and intimate but still have a little bigger space bubble around the vox. Technically it could be just short single tape echo. (And after testing it I might prefer not to use it)

I’m glad you didn’t go for loudness war. (Without any good reason I tend to go to too loud versions nowadays. )

Yeah, the dry vocal thing was kind of a self-imposed technical challenge, to see if I could make it work. Perhaps a bit more ambience would help.

I hate loudness war mastering in general, and for this song it seemed particularly inappropriate.
Love your version ,sounds well balanced !

Nice one Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Great approach, which works well.

Your vocal treatment is really nice. I'm wondering if some gentle reverb would help soften the phasing a little. For me it sounds a little removed from the performance. Just a small amount thats not noticeable in it's own right I think would work. A taste thing certainly.

I would love to hear the mandys come up a little also. They are a bit soft and displaced as they are.

Anyhow, picky comments on a great mix, tastefully done.

Dave
Nice overall balance.

There's a peak in the Hammond at around 1000hz that is pretty ear piercing.....could do with a notch and/or dynamic EQ ....once you know its there it is really distracting.

Apart from that, you've produced a mix that is very enjoyable to listen to. Well done!

cheers, Simon
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
I'm on the same page as Dave and Simon. To me it's almost the opposite of most mixes of this one. The vocals are a little too on top and the riffs of the mandolins get lost a bit. Though, that said, I think it's better for the vocals to be too on top than too buried for this one. It totally works but I think it could just use a little more excitement.

In the end this mix fits this song so good job. But I think you could push it a little more.